Seas Illuminator Speaker Designs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
been saving for a while to put together the best speakers i can. looking at spending 1500 for the lot, cabinets drivers crossover ect. think i have found the drivers im going to use but cant find much on here about projects. is there better out there?

size wise i would like to keep it as compact as possible and will try to keep to 5.25" woofer driver.

I am a big fan of the 15W Revelator and the AirCirc (6600) tweeter.

You should look at:

www.zaphaudio.com

He as tested both Revelators and Illuminator with comments on both.

(in blog, tweeter mishmash, and 5.5" driver comparison sections)

The Illuminators certainly look cool and would be great in an OB. But I didn't see anything compelling to pick the Illuminators over the Revelators for sound quality.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
stuman said:
been saving for a while to put together the best speakers i can.

is there better out there?

size wise i would like to keep it as compact as possible and will try to keep to 5.25" woofer driver.

Cant say what is best...I suppose its all good when done right

Mayb double woofers in 2.5way would work nice

All I can say is that the crossover will make the difference...a HUGE difference
Different xo design will all sound very different, even with the same drivers

A nice looking 3way with relatively cheap drivers
http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements_Monitor.html

A new relatively compact design from Troels, with quality drivers
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SP44.htm

Another quality kit from Troels
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ATR-TL.htm

You will probably have to wait a while fore high quality DIY designs with Illuminators

Attachments

• statements_monitors_0026-nw_small.jpg
    statements_monitors_0026-nw_small.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 490
yes indeed they do look nice. would like to use the illuminator tweet (D3004/662000). very very few and far between info and listening tests crossover designs out there.

i want this too be the last pair of speakers i buy for a long while. and don't want to tits it up.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
stuman said:

i want this too be the last pair of speakers i buy for a long while. and don't want to tits it up.

Well, the Illuminator looks special, but theres realy nothing new to it and technically its actually pretty old :clown:

As said, what you can achieve is not determined by the drivers, but by the complete design, mostly the crossover...the best is only made by the best ;)

Take a look at how many design that has come off the hands of Troels, and theres probably many more not published, and how he is doing this, keeping it going on and on is really beyond me
Many may not agree, but I would say that Troels is THE top guy in designing highest quality DIY speakers...there isnt much competition anywhere

stuman said:
been saving for a while to put together the best speakers i can. looking at spending 1500 for the lot, cabinets drivers crossover ect. think i have found the drivers im going to use but cant find much on here about projects. is there better out there?

Hi,

Given what your saying, look no further than : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html

:)/sreten.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I usually take other peoples opinion with a grain of salt, but the comments(few) on Illuminator have all been that they think ScanSpeaks own Revelator sounds better still

If you are only after a good midwoofer take a look at Tangbands new underhung models, W5-1685 and W6-1721
They are supposed to be quite good
Well, I wouldnt be surprised if they are as good as Illuminator, or maybe even better....but hard to believe :scratch1:

But if you only want a good speaker, and dont have lots of experience with crossovers, your best chance is a well proven design...but stll, look at the complete design and not just the drivers

Attachments

• w5-1685_3.jpg
    w5-1685_3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 351
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.