Bose 901 IV serie - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2009, 04:09 PM   #11
art64 is offline art64  United States
diyAudio Member

Even when turned around it still reflects the sound due to the arrangement of the drivers and the enclosure. I mounted my Series V on CRT TV wall mounts. They can be adjusted horizontally and can be tilted up or down. I can adjust the position to where the sound can bounce against the wall or position them away from the wall to minimize the reflected sound. Each of these positions produces different sound qualities. If the pedestal is gonna be used it will sound different specially if you have carpeted floors. I need to upgrade my subwoofer to 15 inch. The Bose has a lot of mid and high range. Need more mid bass. I got plenty of low bass 100hz and below.
Old 20th July 2009, 07:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Finished my project. I was able to buy a used bass guitar cabinet with 2 15 inch woofers for $49.99. These woofers have no crossovers. Rewired them for stereo. Using bi-amp one to drive the 901's for high freq and one amp to drive the woofers. The sound is freakin awesome. The bass is tight and natural and the highs blend well. Now, I have to sell my Klipsch subwoofer. No need for it. My amps: Denon AVR-2600 driving the 901's; Yamaha C-80 and M-80 driving the 2 15 inch woofers. Don't have to play it loud to get good tones. Also using heavy gauge Monster speaker wires. Forgot to mention BBE Sound Maximizer for clearer sound and tight bass. The 901's array set up is really paying off. I have a small room 15x15 and the sound is well dispersed. 901's also add mid highs. The woofers's preamp's treble control is set at minimum. No passive crossover on the 15 inchers.
Old 20th July 2009, 01:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

So no crossovers at all? The 901's are playing full range and so are the 15" woofers?
I've tried to find a frequency response/impedence curve for my 901's so I might have a better idea where they start to fail and where to crossover to a woofer or tweeter. Right now I have mine running full range and I'm experimenting with where to actively cross the Selenium 15PW3. It sounds good up to 250hz depending on music but I think the 901's extend down into that frequency well so there is some beaming. NickelBack has the nastiest muddy bass I've ever heard.
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

No passive crossover on the 15 inchers. Connected directly to the Yamaha power amp. I just turned the treble control to minimum to filter out the high frequencies from coming out of the woofers. The 901 produces these frequencies a lot better and efficiently.

The 901's have an active equalizer which cuts down some of the mid frequencies and boosts bass and treble. When using the active eq with a regular speaker system, you'll notice an over boost of high frequency, attenuation of the mid and bass just about the same. I have the bass of the amp driving the 901's at 1/4 setting from min. Much cleaner overall system sound.
The 15 inchers are already producing the mid bass and some of the mid frequencies.

Are your 901s' not using the active equalizer? It'll sound terrible without the active eq. The 901 by itself is all mid range!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:34 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have, but am not using, the active EQ. I am powering them with a Sony reciever at the moment so using the EQ is not the easiest thing to do unless I use the Tape in/out/monitor set up. Do the 901's need the EQ if they are used with a woofer and tweeter? I've always considered the 901's to be just a mid or rather a full ranger as they are weak on the bass and treble but nice in the midrange.
Old 22nd July 2009, 03:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I see what you mean. It's a pain sometimes to connect the active eq to a receiver. I have a Denon AVR powering the 901's. But temporarily, I disconnected my dvd/cd player from the reciever and connected the 901's active eq between the dvd player and the reciever. The sound is much different with the eq. The mid frequencies are attenuated and the highs are boosted.

The 901 enclosures have too much mid range. Unless you have a parametric tone control on your reciever, it's almost impossible to control it. So you'll gonna end up boosting your highs and bass to catch up with the 901's mid.

When you connect the active eq, make sure you disconnect your tweeters or they may fry. The active eq is required to make the 901 sound good or normal. Otherwise it's purely mid. It will make music sound muddy. Try connecting it and hear the difference.
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I presently have a pair of 901 series VI that I've had for about 8 years and I used to have a pair of series IV's. Either series, without the EQ connected, sounds worse than am radio. You can connect the eq in a tape loop or if you have separates, between the pre and power amp, or, as mentioned, between your source and the amp.

My present setup is in a large, vaulted-ceiling room with hardwood floors, a very "live" room, and interestingly enough, they produce huge (and amazingly low for 18 little drivers) bass in the bathroom at the top of the stairs leading from this room. The bathroom is quite far removed from the speakers and the effect is quite bizarre.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boywonder
I presently have a pair of 901 series VI that I've had for about 8 years and I used to have a pair of series IV's. Either series, without the EQ connected, sounds worse than am radio. You can connect the eq in a tape loop or if you have separates, between the pre and power amp, or, as mentioned, between your source and the amp.

My present setup is in a large, vaulted-ceiling room with hardwood floors, a very "live" room, and interestingly enough, they produce huge (and amazingly low for 18 little drivers) bass in the bathroom at the top of the stairs leading from this room. The bathroom is quite far removed from the speakers and the effect is quite bizarre.
This is probably one of the pitfalls of 901 is the environment where the speakers will be used. A lively room will most likely produce better sound cause the room will reflect more sound and this is what the 901 is designed for. Even when the speakers are turned around, they still reflect a lot of sound off the side walls due to its wide array design, filling up the room with music quite nicely. I've seen 901's placed next to entertainment centers like regular speakers. They sounded awful this way.
Old 26th March 2010, 03:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Who can send me the schematic of the suited active Equalizer?

By the way - about follow URL you will find some history photos:
BOSE 901 Lautsprecher - Reparatur
and there a test:
http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...25/index3.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bose Equalizer.jpg (86.1 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 26th March 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 26th March 2010, 05:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
Who can send me the schematic of the suited active Equalizer?

By the way - about follow URL you will find some history photos:
BOSE 901 Lautsprecher - Reparatur
and there a test:
Stereophile: Bose 901 loudspeaker
I have service manual for series IV

Hide this!Advertise here!