side/ rear firing speakers Good/Bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What therories are there, concepts, experiences with this ideology and what frequency range would most benefit since the discussion of the need for relections for the stage area and stereo imaging to be enhanced. What has been tried by any of you in experimenting in this area. And adjustments for best effect. I have woofers that are rear firing and satelites front firing. Is it marketing hype. Ok lets hear from all of you!!:D

Well, The speakers with side firing speakers are good for and ussualy used for surround channel, There is also the Audio Physics main speakers that uses 3 manger drivers, one in front the other 2 on the sides. And there are also others, But this type of speakers are not usually accepted by most of us as the norm, As to how they sound , I dont know, But I;m sure they have an effect on the presentation of the sound, Mostly for the worst, I presume.

There is also the bipole design , In which another (sets of) speaker , Identical to the front, located at the back, This design is quite accepted but not very mainstream. Definitive Audio is quite successful in using this kind of design. This is also the easiest way of adding baffle step compensation w/out using any filters for fullrange drivers in a box.

There are also speaker design in which the woofer is located on the side and sometimes at the back, While the front only presents the mid and the tweeter, This design is quite common and this is a good design as long as the woofer is crossed below 300hz or so.

Marchel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.