Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module

Hi All
First time post here. I'm a frequenter of Canuck audio mart and AVS forum. Great site so far for DIY, tons of info.

I'm looking at building some 3-way LCR speakers and considering using the solen active loudspeaker module for the tweet and mid
http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catal...2=2&niveau3=40
Powering the Vifa 27TG35 tweeter and the Vifa DM75MX-41 mid (both of these used in PMC OB1+ speakers which I love)

and then using an Anthem MCA30 3-channel amp to power the woofers, likely a pair of 8" drivers, possibly the usher 8955A. I'll be crossing over to my infinate baffle subwoofer at 40Hz. and using active crossovers to split the lows from the mid/highs.

anyone have any comments on this perspective design? I don't mind building cabinets to suit driver choices, and my woodworking skills are none too shabby...
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 10:24 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default Re: Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module

Quote:
Originally posted by soundemon
Hi All

Powering the Vifa 27TG35 tweeter and the Vifa DM75MX-41 mid (both of these used in PMC OB1+ speakers which I love)


There seems to be no highpass on DM75, or have I missed it
__________________
sometimes we know very little, and sometimes we know too much
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Re: Active 3-ways with solen active loudspeaker module

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus



There seems to be no highpass on DM75, or have I missed it
I'd be using another crossover to highpass to the mid/tweet and lowpass to the woofers. I'd love to stick with all RCA but this is one of the only ones I've found with RCA conectivity:
Gemini CX-1000
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=GMCX1000~item.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Assuming that the amplification and crossover ideas aren't ludicrous, I wonder how I would be better served for the woofers enclosure. if an F3 @ 40Hz is acceptable, would I be better off with a ported or a sealed enclosure? I'm very open to larger sized enclosures...
What I'm looking for is good mid-bass impact and detail. subwoofers are covering 40Hz on down.

I've also got to decide whether to build one large enclosure with the tweet and mid seperated, or build seperate enclosures for the mid/tweet and bass bins. (I'm leaning towards a single enclosure)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 09:00 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by soundemon

I wonder how I would be better served for the woofers enclosure. if an F3 @ 40Hz is acceptable, would I be better off with a ported or a sealed enclosure?

I've also got to decide whether to build one large enclosure with the tweet and mid seperated, or build seperate enclosures for the mid/tweet and bass bins. (I'm leaning towards a single enclosure)

I would recommend closed fore woofers, and find the woofers that suit the situation
If the Usher you mention is W8955K, it seems they roll off nicely around 45-50hz/-3db

I would recommend seperate enclosures
As you use standard active filters, it may be convenient to be able to adjust the position of each box section

But whether its a good thing you are planning, is hard to say...how the suggested drivers behave with those active filters is probably as unpredictable as passive filters
And to combine two completely different active filter designs may not go so easy either
__________________
sometimes we know very little, and sometimes we know too much
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 06:11 PM   #6
docrw is offline docrw  United States
diyAudio Member
 
docrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to docrw
Default Active 3-ways Gemini active Xover for dialing in

soundemon
I also have one of these that I bought to hopefully dial in different drivers before designing the Xovers for speakers. I bought a Gemini CX-1 but didn't get any instructions do you think you could send me a copy of yours? I looked on line everywhere and can't find one. You're my only hope.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by soundemon


I'd be using another crossover to highpass to the mid/tweet and lowpass to the woofers. I'd love to stick with all RCA but this is one of the only ones I've found with RCA conectivity:
Gemini CX-1000
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=GMCX1000~item.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cx-1.jpg (26.2 KB, 530 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 12:13 PM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Hi,

I'd say build this : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Use your active crossover, 3 channel amplifier and subwoofer.

It will work far, far better that what you are planning.

/sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2009, 08:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Re: Active 3-ways Gemini active Xover for dialing in

Quote:
Originally posted by docrw
soundemon
I also have one of these that I bought to hopefully dial in different drivers before designing the Xovers for speakers. I bought a Gemini CX-1 but didn't get any instructions do you think you could send me a copy of yours? I looked on line everywhere and can't find one. You're my only hope.
Thanks

I haven't actually got one of these crossovers yet - just discusing perspective plans.
If I had the manual I certainly would make you a copy. Sorry I can't help!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 03:42 PM   #9
docrw is offline docrw  United States
diyAudio Member
 
docrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Send a message via Yahoo to docrw
Default Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

Hello,
Did you build the ZDT3.5's? If you did, I sure like to hear about it, also what you are referencing them to and driving them with.
I built the BAM MTM and so far not to happy, but hoping to discover I made a mistake in the Xovers (still in that discovery stage 2/2009).
What's your suggestion on using the active crossover? I have the Gemini CX-1
It sounds like my idea is a bad one...?

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Hi,
I'd say build this : http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Use your active crossover, 3 channel amplifier and subwoofer.

It will work far, far better that what you are planning.

/sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 02:18 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Default Re: Zaph ZDT3.5 instead of active crossover

Quote:
Originally posted by docrw
Hello,
Did you build the ZDT3.5's? If you did, I sure like to hear about it,
also what you are referencing them to and driving them with.

I built the BAM MTM and so far not to happy, but hoping to discover
I made a mistake in the Xovers (still in that discovery stage 2/2009).
What's your suggestion on using the active crossover?
I have the Gemini CX-1, It sounds like my idea is a bad one...?

Hi,

No i have not built them. IMO a cheap chinese 15W/40W active
module used for mid and treble is not going to hold a candle to
a good 200W amplifier driving a properly designed loudspeaker.

The ZDT3.5 seems the sort of thing that you want, by relaxing
the subwoofer point upwards you could make them quite compact.

I think you be better off using your 3x200W amplifier full range.
Using any good loudspeaker design that you want.

Using active c/o's is not a short cut to good speaker design,
it is fine if the active c/o's are designed properly, but they
are not "designed" at all if already built into modules.

Also note the ZDT3.5 has a different centre channel version.

/sreten.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
for sale four ways active crossover patriz Swap Meet 1 6th May 2008 12:42 PM
Active filter 2 ways, your opinions? franck1234 Parts 16 2nd December 2007 05:30 PM
I need a two ways Bessel active crossover schematic gaetan8888 Multi-Way 2 30th August 2007 12:21 PM
active 2 ways with SPH-165KEP and Fountek neocd 3.0 Nemophyle Multi-Way 4 26th July 2005 09:29 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2