Stephens Speakers ???????? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 05:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

thanks again. if you get a minute to respond, and know approx cost, could you hazard a guess how much the recapping could be
Old 1st September 2011, 05:45 AM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngreps View Post
thanks again. if you get a minute to respond, and know approx cost, could you hazard a guess how much the recapping could be
No clue unfortunately - this will have to be determined by the technician doing the work. As a total swag I'd say it should not IMHO be more than a few hundred dollars.. Post a few pictures of the amp along with the model and perhaps someone here will be familiar with your amp.

Modifying your profile to show what part of the country you live in would help you to potentially hook up with other more experienced members local to you.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Stephens Trusonic speakers

[QUOTE=genmin;1734452]Ran into a cabinet that was used on a stage setting, I presume they were musical performers and inside were installed two Stephens Tru-Sonic P52-L 15" heavy monsters, I noticed one on ebay at the Buy it Now price of 750.00 and others going for 250.00 and much higher. So what are these things, how good are they, what is there intended purpose, what is the history on these and do they have a purpose in guitar amplifiers, better for P.A. or just vintage nostalgia, any input will be appreciated .They will not disappoint you! I built a pair of cabinets for my Stephens 15inch drivers model 206. they are the beat speakers I ever heard! Ralph
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Very rare vintage speakers!
Old 23rd February 2012, 06:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Robert Lee Stephens was a loudspeaker pioneer, and one of the important people in the development of early theatre sound systems. He worked as a draftsman at MGM Studios in the 1930s, and was involved in the Shearer Horn System project; he designed and supervised the construction of the multicellular horns. He may be the father of the tar filled horn, although I have been unable to confirm this. Stephens left MGM in 1938 to found the Stephens Manufacturing Company, located on National Blvd. in Los Angeles until he moved the company to Culver City in 1947. The company was very successful, and grew to a large size by the mid 1950s. Stephens became ill and died of bone cancer in 1957. The company continued on for at least another decade, owned variously by Bert Berlant, The builders of the Standel amplifiers, and finally the Utah speaker company.

I own (am very fortunate) a pair of Stephens Tru-Sonic 206 AXAs (circa: 1953-1954 roughly) in factory cabinets. Culver City examples.

Will give the Altec 604 a run for it's money.

The L.A., Culver City stuff is what you want to watch out for. Sublime.

At the end, the name was owned by Utah, still very very good and worth bringing home but not the same stuff.

Stephens was a contemporary of, and worked with Jim Lansing on the Shearer horn project. Amicable competitors.

Last edited by MCSmith; 23rd February 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 20th September 2012, 12:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Artmaster Send a message via MSN to Artmaster
hi all! let me ask about loudspeaker from same producer - STEPHENS TRUSONIC my friend bought from the world wide. the problem is - crossover and connection bass, mid and tweeter. see the pictures please.
there are drivers used:

Trusonic Model 150 FR Full Range Free Cone Speaker
Trusonic 80FR stamped 266205 on both of the 80FR's
ElectroVoice T-35 Horn Tweeters which are stamped 224.

and ElectroVoice X36 Crossover which features 3500 HZ and 8 Ohms

I need original circuit diagram for this very interesting thing.
thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (443.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (253.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (334.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (375.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (358.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (342.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg trusonic.JPG (82.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 21st September 2012, 02:20 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

here ya go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-20-1167784385.jpg (50.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 21st September 2012, 06:06 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Artmaster Send a message via MSN to Artmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
here ya go:
Thank you. I will test x336 and X2635
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
here ya go:

This post of yours has inadvertently put to rest an enormously nagging question that I have been suffering with for some few weeks now.

You cannot imagine how much you've helped me!

Thank You and God Bless!

Marshall
Old 3rd May 2013, 01:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

... and I bought a fabulous Stephens 150W, 15 inches, around 1967 and had some correspondence with the company about specs.

Maybe 3 yrs ago, took it out of storage and installed on a sheet of particle board screwed to the legs of a table forming a big irregular OB, mid-wall. The low range and the bump down at 23 Hz (roughly) perfectly complements my K-horn (which doesn't really go too far down) and the mix-and-match room excitation works nicely.

I wonder if there is anything about woofers today that are materially better than the Stephens? Stuff like shaping of pole pieces???

Ben

Hide this!Advertise here!