Stephens Speakers ????????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ran into a cabinet that was used on a stage setting, I presume they were musical performers and inside were installed two Stephens Tru-Sonic P52-L 15" heavy monsters, I noticed one on ebay at the Buy it Now price of 750.00 and others going for 250.00 and much higher. So what are these things, how good are they, what is there intended purpose, what is the history on these and do they have a purpose in guitar amplifiers, better for P.A. or just vintage nostalgia, any input will do, any links will be appreciated. Thanks

Stephens Trusonic manufactured very high quality speakers in the 60's and 70's for theater, commercial, and audiophile use. They were ranked with Bozak, Altec-Lansing, and JB Lansing. Later, they made a few enclosures and systems. They used cast aluminum baskets, large magnets, large edge-wound voicecoils, and featured free-cone suspension. Many people considered them to be more natural sounding than their competition and I had a pair of the 80FR speakers which I really regret selling.

The model you mentioned is not in my Stephens catalog, but I only have their audiophile product catalog. I'm sure the one you've seen is intended for commercial applications. They also made (and maybe invented) a toroidal tweeter with very high efficiency.

I don't think they ever used foam surrounds or anything that would be expected to deteriorate, so an old Trusonic driver may work fine today. Hope this helps.

correction

My excuse is that it was a long time ago. Actually, Stephens Trusonic was making speakers (both drivers and systems) for the audiophile market in the 50's and I suspect their involvement in theater systems preceded that. Some of their cabinetry was designed by Charles Eames -- fairly exotic looking.

They started out in Culver City CA and there was an attempt to revive the line in the 70's (same products plus a 50FR for auto applications it appears) out of Pasadena CA.

I found a cabinet with a Stephens Tru-Sonic P52L woofer in it. I did some research, and found if the identification plate has a Los Angeles address the speaker was manufactured prior to 1947. That is the year that Stepens manufacturing moved to Culver City. Stephens in Los Angeles from 1936?- to 1947. I also found that the next woofer after the P52L was the P52LX model, and has a slightly different cone.

Hello, I have a pair of Stephens Trusonic speakers from the late 1950s, bought new by my parents and never moved in 50 years. The woofers, tweeters are in great shape, the cabinets are walnut, pristeen, and the grilles are also in good shape.
Would like to know what these are worth? I have had an offer for $600 for the pair, but as I have seen the woofers only being sold for $300/pair, maybe $600 is low. The cabinets are gorgeous (a little heavy).... they don't make them like that anymore.
Any help appreciated.
It has with it a Madison Fielding 320 amplifier which is from the late 1950s, also fabulous Mid Century look and works like a charm. I was offered $1,200 for the amp and speakers, I was reluctant to jump at that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello, I have a pair of Stephens Trusonic speakers from the late 1950s, bought new by my parents and never moved in 50 years. The woofers, tweeters are in great shape, the cabinets are walnut, pristeen, and the grilles are also in good shape.
Would like to know what these are worth? I have had an offer for $600 for the pair, but as I have seen the woofers only being sold for $300/pair, maybe $600 is low. The cabinets are gorgeous (a little heavy).... they don't make them like that anymore.
Any help appreciated.
It has with it a Madison Fielding 320 amplifier which is from the late 1950s, also fabulous Mid Century look and works like a charm. I was offered $1,200 for the amp and speakers, I was reluctant to jump at that.

Oddly enough with a few exceptions the cabinets with the components installed frequently command lower prices than just the drivers on their own. This probably relates to the difficulty and cost of shipping the complete speaker system as compared to just the drivers. I'm not advocating that you dismantle them however. The best way to determine what they are worth is to follow eBay and see what the drivers go for - don't expect to get a lot for the cabinets. In most cases (not all) modern boxes are stiffer and less resonant than vintage boxes so it depends very heavily on the build quality of your cabinets as to what they are worth.

The MF amplifier is pretty rare, but I have no idea what the gear is worth. There is not a lot of demand for this brand. Also note that the amp should be recapped before use.

If indeed you are looking to sell these here you should post to the swap section of the forum, but if you are looking for information wrt worth this is thread is ok.

You might even consider keeping them.. (I would) :D

Clarification on "recapping"

Thanks. I wasn't looking for buyers here, just to get a sense of the value of the Trusonics and the Madison Fielding. I am not an experienced audiophile. Most probably will keep the amp and speakers.

Could you explain what getting the amp "recapped" means?

Thanks, Leslie

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. I wasn't looking for buyers here, just to get a sense of the value of the Trusonics and the Madison Fielding. I am not an experienced audiophile. Most probably will keep the amp and speakers.

Could you explain what getting the amp "recapped" means?

Thanks, Leslie

Hi Leslie,
Recapping refers to replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, any electrolytic cathode bypass capacitors and the coupling capacitors. Even though the amplifier is apparently in working order the capacitors are all beyond their retirement date by many years. The ramification is that if one of them should fail it may do serious damage to the amplifier.

I would really recommend finding a qualified technician in your area, other members living in your general area may be able to provide guidance - and then get those parts replaced.

I think the set up is well worth holding onto, with a little work and not too much money it will reward you with quite decent, possibly great sound. Perhaps there is also a good turntable lurking somewhere at your parent's place. A CD player or DAC can be plugged into the AUX or tuner inputs on your amplifier.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thanks again. if you get a minute to respond, and know approx cost, could you hazard a guess how much the recapping could be

No clue unfortunately - this will have to be determined by the technician doing the work. As a total swag I'd say it should not IMHO be more than a few hundred dollars.. Post a few pictures of the amp along with the model and perhaps someone here will be familiar with your amp.

Modifying your profile to show what part of the country you live in would help you to potentially hook up with other more experienced members local to you.

Stephens Trusonic speakers

Ran into a cabinet that was used on a stage setting, I presume they were musical performers and inside were installed two Stephens Tru-Sonic P52-L 15" heavy monsters, I noticed one on ebay at the Buy it Now price of 750.00 and others going for 250.00 and much higher. So what are these things, how good are they, what is there intended purpose, what is the history on these and do they have a purpose in guitar amplifiers, better for P.A. or just vintage nostalgia, any input will be appreciated .They will not disappoint you! I built a pair of cabinets for my Stephens 15inch drivers model 206. they are the beat speakers I ever heard! Ralph

Robert Lee Stephens was a loudspeaker pioneer, and one of the important people in the development of early theatre sound systems. He worked as a draftsman at MGM Studios in the 1930s, and was involved in the Shearer Horn System project; he designed and supervised the construction of the multicellular horns. He may be the father of the tar filled horn, although I have been unable to confirm this. Stephens left MGM in 1938 to found the Stephens Manufacturing Company, located on National Blvd. in Los Angeles until he moved the company to Culver City in 1947. The company was very successful, and grew to a large size by the mid 1950s. Stephens became ill and died of bone cancer in 1957. The company continued on for at least another decade, owned variously by Bert Berlant, The builders of the Standel amplifiers, and finally the Utah speaker company.

I own (am very fortunate) a pair of Stephens Tru-Sonic 206 AXAs (circa: 1953-1954 roughly) in factory cabinets. Culver City examples.

Will give the Altec 604 a run for it's money.

The L.A., Culver City stuff is what you want to watch out for. Sublime.

At the end, the name was owned by Utah, still very very good and worth bringing home but not the same stuff.

Stephens was a contemporary of, and worked with Jim Lansing on the Shearer horn project. Amicable competitors.

Last edited:
hi all! let me ask about loudspeaker from same producer - STEPHENS TRUSONIC my friend bought from the world wide. the problem is - crossover and connection bass, mid and tweeter. see the pictures please.
there are drivers used:

Trusonic Model 150 FR Full Range Free Cone Speaker
Trusonic 80FR stamped 266205 on both of the 80FR's
ElectroVoice T-35 Horn Tweeters which are stamped 224.

and ElectroVoice X36 Crossover which features 3500 HZ and 8 Ohms

I need original circuit diagram for this very interesting thing.
thank you.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 168
  • trusonic.JPG
    trusonic.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 139
... and I bought a fabulous Stephens 150W, 15 inches, around 1967 and had some correspondence with the company about specs.

Maybe 3 yrs ago, took it out of storage and installed on a sheet of particle board screwed to the legs of a table forming a big irregular OB, mid-wall. The low range and the bump down at 23 Hz (roughly) perfectly complements my K-horn (which doesn't really go too far down) and the mix-and-match room excitation works nicely.

I wonder if there is anything about woofers today that are materially better than the Stephens? Stuff like shaping of pole pieces???

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.