Crossover Layout Comments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys!

I've finally gotten my component values nailed down and working on the final layout. Here's a pic:

IMG_3140.jpg

Here's a high-res version:

http://picasaweb.google.com/eisenbarth.ma/Crossovers

Tweeter input starts on bottom left, through cap to the inductor on the far left to ground (2nd order) then a resistor dividing network. Output is taken between two resistors on bottom.

Woofer coil starts on bottom right, then a RCL to ground.

Pretty simple.

Any comments? Can I get away with moving things closer together?

Thanks!!

I don't know if you have read AudioXpress 5/01 ( Inductor Coupling ) Dennis Colin:
He outlines a variety of orientation options and coupling results.
Very good article - there was a earlier one that showed the effects of crosstalk on an oscilloscope.
Standard practice is 90 degree orientation and as far apart otherwise

HK26147 said:
I don't know if you have read AudioXpress 5/01 ( Inductor Coupling ) Dennis Colin:
He outlines a variety of orientation options and coupling results.
Very good article - there was a earlier one that showed the effects of crosstalk on an oscilloscope.
Standard practice is 90 degree orientation and as far apart otherwise

no, but sounds very interesting. I think I can reduce the size a bit.. if I could move the middle inductor down one hole and to the left one position in the grid. Like I said, I usually have things very spread out and haven't tried to really optimize things :)

Unfortunately I don't have a good link that covers "mutual inductance"
But I'm sure you have seen illustrations of the magnetic flux lines that expand out from the coil torus - the pole orientation is a line down the center of the hole.
The Big foil air core ( on the far right ) shares the same orientation as foil inductor on the far left.
Turn the Big one 90 degree so it's "hole" axis is oriented right to left.
Then all 3 coil are on different axis and can be closer.

( Not to be boring but mutual inductance is the principle behind transformer action )

My queries were based upon how the crossover was to be integrated into the system.
For example: If I wanted to facilitate experimenting with the crossover further; I would not put the crossover inside the enclosure and instead run terminals out of the cab for each driver. With the circuit external - This facilitates the listening/adjusting cycle.

Many just want it done and mounted securely inside the cab.
I strongly suggest that the crossover circuit and input output points and circuit nodes be identified on the board. ( even if only with a sharpie )
In the same fashion as many printed circuit board have printed on the component side.
This is documentation and will help if/when the circuit is worked upon.
After a while you forget the details of old circuits.

What is the perf-board material ( thickness ) BTW?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.