Peerless driver opinion for low profile speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
renfrey is offline renfrey  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless driver opinion for low profile speakers

So I am going to get a new panel tv, which gives me the opportunity to build some new speakers to go with it for surround.

The only speakers I am concerning myself with at this time is the L+C+R speakers.

I want to build these to profile the TV on the wall, so they will be wall mount, slim, and no deeper then the tv plus a bracket. So that would be in the area of 5-6" deep, about 27" high, and as narrow as I can get it.

My first thought was to use some 5" drivers I had sitting around. (I have 6). So I was wondering what peoples opinions would be of the drivers and if they would be decent for what I am trying to accomplish.

The woofers are Peerless 831974. The detailed specs are here.

I was thinking of an MTM configuration and using Morel tweeters I have as well (MDT30). As for the crossover point and design....I am not too sure of that. I don't have too much experience with building crossovers.

It may also be good to note that I will have a subwoofer supporting the low end in this system.

What are your opinions?

jp.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A rough sim indicates you'd need about 15L for 2 units if you go ported; you'd probably be ok with 10-12 L sealed if you have a sub.
The spec given on your link don't give Re, and the freq response curve looks too smoothed.

Polyprop cones tend to drop like a stone once they've reached their high freq limit, looks like around 2Khz on the graph; you'd need to ensure that your tweeter can get down that low
Old 4th February 2009, 02:15 PM   #3
renfrey is offline renfrey  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am going to try to find my original specs from peerless. I noticed that the ones online don't include xmax either.

I've also been looking around for other decent drivers that I could use (like on zaphaudio).

They don't make too much mention of smaller HiVi drivers, any thoughts on HiVi's? I was also looking at the W14RC2508 5.5" silverflutes, but I am not sure if I could squeeze them into a small enough cabinet, unless I scrapped the MTM design for the L+R speakers?

Hide this!Advertise here!