Designing a crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering when designing a crossover the passive network load for each driver .Do you leave the network load at 8ohms or for each driver do you use the RE that you have measured for each driver?
Also when doing the bandpass how do you determine the crossover points in relation to the woofer and tweeter crossover points ?
I am also wonder if anyone can point me to a tutorial on the right way to measure loudspeaker spl.
Maybe someone should do one so when someone new decideds to do it it is there in the wiki for it .

oldbar said:
I was wondering when designing a crossover the passive network load for each driver .Do you leave the network load at 8ohms or for each driver do you use the RE that you have measured for each driver?

The best is to use the measured impedance and phase that varies with frequency.

oldbar said:
Also when doing the bandpass how do you determine the crossover points in relation to the woofer and tweeter crossover points ?

That is a difficult question, and I would begin an answer by saying that one should not try to design a 3-way without optimization software and measurements of both SPL/phase and impedance/phase. Success is possible, but not probable without the right tools.

I am also wonder if anyone can point me to a tutorial on the right way to measure loudspeaker spl.
Maybe someone should do one so when someone new decideds to do it it is there in the wiki for it .

There is a program called Speaker Workshop, and there is an unofficial manual that goes through the measurement steps.

Other than that there are a few good books on loudspeaker design, such as Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D'Appolito.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.