what to do with unknown full range speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come across a consignment of full range speakers at a surplus electronics store.

alli know from the handwriting on the cardboard box is that they are "full range speakers intended for TV sets". they are 4ohm impedance and 4 or 5 " in diameter with a whizzer cone tweeter co-axially mounted with the woofer. the store owner didn't have much info either

at $5 per speaker, i was thinking of maybe attempting a cheap pair of voigt pipes with them, but i know nothing about their response / curves etc ... .

any hints or ideas on what i can do, and how i would design an enclosure for such a driver.

Put down the box and step away... :)

I've always held the belief that if you are spending your heard earned free time on a project, you should start with a known quantity, not necessarily the best out there, but at least something that you feel (or others feel) would have a good chance of success. IT would suck to have spend quite a few hours on a project that doesn't turn out from no fault of your own.

Sheldon

Recently I found 6.5" new full range drivers in a surplus store, comming from chrysler cars.

At $1 cdn each, I bought 8 for fun.

100 of those drivers cant sound worse than one $100 driver, can they?

I thought about a 360 degree ($ too) surround
:p

I'll make something eventualy.
My friend bought 10 of them and we made 2 speakers. Heres a pic of him standing next to one of the speakers.

Attachments

• alexspeakcompress.jpg
    alexspeakcompress.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 310
Slap them into a sealed enclosure, you won't get earth shaterin bass (and who thinks they will with $5 4"-5" drivers?) but you will get an idea of how they sound, then you can decide if you should spend your time building time consuming voight pipes for them.

And at dirt cheap you might just want to build boxes and sell them if all else turns bad. As long as they don't sound like complete crap people will buy them. Most people don't know what good sound quality is, but do know when it sounds like complete crap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.