Ohms? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
ddoyle is offline ddoyle  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ohms?

I am working on a surround speaker project. I want to try using some auto speakers for the rear and side channels(7.1). I am looking at using some JBL's that were used in some of the higher end ford and lincolns. They have about a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter, self contained in a plastic housing. Now I have not tested these yet, assume they are 4 ohm, what do I need to make them compatable with my system, 8ohm. Resistors? My reasons, speakers are easy to find, cheap and already have a housing,may need to work on the appearance end, and have a small footprint. Thanks for your input!
Dan
Old 31st January 2009, 09:31 PM   #2
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

If you verify that they are indeed 4 ohm cabs:
Wire 2 in series for 8 ohms with 1 cab inverted on top of the other...
So you have a 4", T, T, 4" module.
OR
you could use an L-pad and just burn off the excess power.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

most respectable HT amps should be able to handle 4ohms as long as you don't do anything exotic with the crossovers.

It'll be louder and so the volume knob could go all the way to "self-destruct" (12)

Just start with the volume low and proceed carefully. Adding series resistance to the speaker will impact the bass
Old 1st February 2009, 07:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, if these are Car speakers, then likely they are 4 ohms. That in and of itself shouldn't be a problem as has already been said; any respectable AV amp should be able to handle 4 ohm speakers.

However, the speakers in question are only 4", so it should be very easy to put two of them in one reasonably small cabinet, and wire them in series.

You could make the side speakers with angled fronts, in essence making the speakers di/bi-pole speakers. Have one of the 4" angled slightly to the front and the other angled slightly to the rear to disperse the sound a little better.

Then for the Rear speakers simply stack two 4" speakers together in a standard rectangular box, flat front, cabinet.

So, that solves the problem for Surround speakers, what were you planning to do for the fronts?

Steve/bluewizard
Old 1st February 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not familiar with JBL product that ddoyle mentioned.
I was given a small JBL satellite ( to repair ) that sounds very similar to what was mentioned - a 4" and a 1" piezo diaphragm.
It was not designed to be repaired - you can only buy a completed satellite.
This product was used by contractors on new construction and entertainment room renovations.
It didn't handle much power; a room has considerable more volume to fill then a car; so I thought wiring 2 in series would be prudent.
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the replies. I will have my hands on the speakers this week. The front speakers I have been alternating between AR-3s, Mcintosh xd715s and wharfedale w70c. Have not made up my mind which I like best. Cntr is a Zetag kinima. currently running a pair of AR tsw110s for the sides and a pair of smaller Advents in the rear, mini monitors i think.
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

they are indeed 4 ohm. here are a few shots of what i am working with. This is from the front, have not pulled a set out of the rear deck, they may be larger.

Hide this!Advertise here!