Ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on a surround speaker project. I want to try using some auto speakers for the rear and side channels(7.1). I am looking at using some JBL's that were used in some of the higher end ford and lincolns. They have about a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter, self contained in a plastic housing. Now I have not tested these yet, assume they are 4 ohm, what do I need to make them compatable with my system, 8ohm. Resistors? My reasons, speakers are easy to find, cheap and already have a housing,may need to work on the appearance end, and have a small footprint. Thanks for your input!
Dan

Well, if these are Car speakers, then likely they are 4 ohms. That in and of itself shouldn't be a problem as has already been said; any respectable AV amp should be able to handle 4 ohm speakers.

However, the speakers in question are only 4", so it should be very easy to put two of them in one reasonably small cabinet, and wire them in series.

You could make the side speakers with angled fronts, in essence making the speakers di/bi-pole speakers. Have one of the 4" angled slightly to the front and the other angled slightly to the rear to disperse the sound a little better.

Then for the Rear speakers simply stack two 4" speakers together in a standard rectangular box, flat front, cabinet.

So, that solves the problem for Surround speakers, what were you planning to do for the fronts?

Steve/bluewizard

I am not familiar with JBL product that ddoyle mentioned.
I was given a small JBL satellite ( to repair ) that sounds very similar to what was mentioned - a 4" and a 1" piezo diaphragm.
It was not designed to be repaired - you can only buy a completed satellite.
This product was used by contractors on new construction and entertainment room renovations.
It didn't handle much power; a room has considerable more volume to fill then a car; so I thought wiring 2 in series would be prudent.

Thank you all for the replies. I will have my hands on the speakers this week. The front speakers I have been alternating between AR-3s, Mcintosh xd715s and wharfedale w70c. Have not made up my mind which I like best. Cntr is a Zetag kinima. currently running a pair of AR tsw110s for the sides and a pair of smaller Advents in the rear, mini monitors i think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.