Need advice on a loudspeaker design program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by FSHZ:42
Wanting to know if I would have to build some type of jig to go along with the SE for measuring speaker parameters or could I just use my WT3?

You don't need a jig with SE. But I find a switch box helps to tidy things up.

Mine has the following:

1) Voltage dividers to reduce signal to line level (for the sound card)
2) Toggle function between acoustic measurement and impedance (for Z, R, C, L and T/S).
3) A switchable series capacitor for protecting tweeters
4) The sense resistor is external to the jig (unlike Wallin, as SW measures differently) for best accuracy.
5) The switch box also has connectors for connecting the soundcard inputs (RCA), amplifier output and test leads.

Whether you need a jig is down to your personal preference.

Shaun said:

You don't need a jig with SE. But I find a switch box helps to tidy things up.

Mine has the following:

1) Voltage dividers to reduce signal to line level (for the sound card)
2) Toggle function between acoustic measurement and impedance (for Z, R, C, L and T/S).
3) A switchable series capacitor for protecting tweeters
4) The sense resistor is external to the jig (unlike Wallin, as SW measures differently) for best accuracy.
5) The switch box also has connectors for connecting the soundcard inputs (RCA), amplifier output and test leads.

Whether you need a jig is down to your personal preference.

O.K. First I need to order the SE program. While I am waiting on it to arrive, I will get the $10.95 SE guide. I would guess that this guide is for proper set-up for the program. Can you tell me if this would be the right approach to this set-up, and also what other tools or equipment do I need. I am presently using x-over 3 pro, which I feel is not that good. I have the WT3, True RTA 1/3 octave, a digital decibel meter (rat-shack) in which I was told to use for measuring the drivers. Let me know what you think! Oh, one last thing, my sound card is Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS, will SE work well with it?

Thanks,

Emile

Have you read the SE product page? SoundEasy .

There you'll find the original manual and some very useful articles. Also, there's a short list of known compatible sound cards. Else post on the SE Userslist & ask if anyone else is using the card you intend to use. Most cards work for the basic measurement functions. But as for the advanced DSP functions, e.g., digital filter, you have to get a card that uses WDM (I think) drivers.

And for the measurement you'll need a mic that does not apply any processing to the measured signal, and that has a pass-through signal for the sound card to receive. Best also to get the mic calibrated, but usually you can find a generic calibration file for your mic that also tends to be sufficient. Also, use a mic that does not have a bulky body that produces diffraction (some mics are "aerodynamic" in design, and this reduces diffraction). You'll also need an amplifier (old receiver will work fine).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.