Need advice on a loudspeaker design program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking on getting the Sound Easy program version 15, as I have the X-over 3 Pro along with the WT3 and True RTA. I am not familiar with the Sound Easy program, but have some knowledge on the programs mentioned. I know that programs like CLIO, LEAP, etc are very accurate, but are on the expensive side. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

FSHZ:42 said:
I know that programs like CLIO, LEAP, etc are very accurate, but are on the expensive side.

They are likely to be equally accurate. Someone did a comparison a few years back (forget who). Even SpeakerWorkshop (free) gave the same results, but I think that SpeakerWorkshop, because of its measurement method, can give you, for instance, R+L measurement, whereas the others require you to use a DMM to measure the R part (i.e., series resistance).

Join the SoundEasy Userslist, and ask lots of questions.

Yes, SoundEasy is low cost. It is also under continual development, so you may end up doing an unlimited series of upgrades if you are interested in the new features. V15 has mostly user-requested features; much of the user interface has been revamped since its inception.

I use SoundEasy. Buy it if you need its extensive functionality. Use SpeakerWorkshop if you don't.

One of the interesting features about the soundeasy program is it's capability to use it's built-in x-over/s on speakers to get a better idea of what they will sound like before actually assembling the components.

Does the Speaker Workshop have this feature?

Also, how would these programs compare to X-over 3 Pro from Harris Technologies?

Thanks,
Emile

One of the interesting features about the soundeasy program is it's capability to use it's built-in x-over/s on speakers....

Does the Speaker Workshop have this feature?

Also, how would these programs compare to X-over 3 Pro from Harris Technologies?

Speaker workshop does not do digital filter preview, but depending on your education, it is not terribly hard to do this using something like Brute FIR.

Xover pro is junk, IMO. Unless things have changed it cannot even use measured phase, which is pretty important.

Speaker workshop does not do digital filter preview, but depending on your education, it is not terribly hard to do this using something like Brute FIR.

Is the Speaker workshop compareable to Soundeasy? I did search a little on the Speaker workshop, but am not familiar with it. It appears in the begining of the set up that you need to build a jig for testing speakers. I do have the WT3 for testing parameters of drivers, so would I exclude building the teat jig? One last thing- I know that Chris from Solen Electronics in Canada uses the X-over 3 Pro for doing cross-over designs for his company, so it cant be that bad of a program.

Thanks

Originally posted by FSHZ:42
Is the Speaker workshop compareable to Soundeasy?

Only at the fundamental level. SW has all you need to successfully design an enclosure (size and tuning), measure the drivers (T/S & impedance) and/or passive components and finally do acoustic measurements (of the drivers in-box) and then crossover design. It can adjust component values automatically to meet a target acoustic response. Enough to build a very good loudspeaker.

SE offers many other features in addition to these (read the SoundEasy product page for full details).

Originally posted by FSHZ:42
I did search a little on the Speaker workshop, but am not familiar with it. It appears in the begining of the set up that you need to build a jig for testing speakers. I do have the WT3 for testing parameters of drivers, so would I exclude building the teat jig?

It can do everything that WT3 does. Short answer: you do need it. It is a simple circuit.

Originally posted by FSHZ:42 One last thing- I know that Chris from Solen Electronics in Canada uses the X-over 3 Pro for doing cross-over designs for his company, so it cant be that bad of a program.

The results are very much dependent on the skill of the user.

HTH

To add to what Shaun said, Speaker workshop is worthless because it doesn't let you use imported phase. Even Speaker workshop or Passive Crossover Designer let you use measured impedance frequency response and phase and they are free.

The soundeasy design guide is not a book, but on CD. It is very good.

If you are only doing spl measurements in SoundEasy, and not t/s parameter testing you don't need to use any jig or circuit. If you did want to provide some additional protection for your soundcard when doing frequency response measurements, you could solder a resistor onto your reference probe input but that is optional. Youi will need a mic and preamp to do the measurements (same with any of the packages)

Short of LEAP, the only design package I would consider other than Soundeasy is LspCad Standard and it is not as full featured as SoundEasy. To get similar functionality you would need to get LspCad Pro which is more than double the price.

Good luck,

Dennis

djarchow said:
To add to what Shaun said, Speaker workshop is worthless because it doesn't let you use imported phase. Even Speaker workshop or Passive Crossover Designer let you use measured impedance frequency response and phase and they are free.

I think you meant: "To add to what Ron E said, XOver Pro is worthless because it doesn't let you use imported phase."

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I know that Chris from Solen Electronics in Canada uses the X-over 3 Pro for doing cross-over designs for his company, so it cant be that bad of a program.

Have you looked at some of their crossovers? :whazzat:

I don't know about Sound Easy, but Speaker Workshop has a pretty steep learning curve and requires a lot of setup to have it running right. It's free and is very functional when you get the hang of it.
The jig is a bit of a stumbling block, as is the mic preamp and measurement mic but I don't think Sound Easy comes with one either (am I wrong?).
I built an all-in-one jig that has an adaptation of the Wallin jig, a battery powered mic preamp and an LM3886 based power amp (low power). It is a convenient package and makes the process less of an ordeal.

IM001386.jpg

IM001385.jpg

IM001384.jpg

Ron E said:

I think you meant: "To add to what Ron E said, XOver Pro is worthless because it doesn't let you use imported phase."

Yes I did. I really messed that one up. Thanks for catching that.

Regarding the Wallin jig for speaker workshop, I never saw the need for that. If you choose to do impedance meausrements with SoundEasy (or SpeakerWorkshop) a simple voltage divider can be put right inline with your cable. In any case the poster has the wooferr tester so I would assume he would be using that for t/s measurements.

SoundEasy, just like LspCad, Leap, Praxis, Clio etc is an engineering tool. To get the most out of it, you need to understand what you are doing when designing a speaker.

Regards,

Dennis

MJL21193 said:
I built an all-in-one jig that has an adaptation of the Wallin jig, a battery powered mic preamp and an LM3886 based power amp (low power). It is a convenient package and makes the process less of an ordeal.

That is pretty cool John!

My Jig is just a little plastic box with a voltage divider and two switches. It works but it is a bit of a pain and I always thought about adding a small amp, but never did so.

I agree that these programs can have a steep learning curve. Getting one's feet wet with something like Speaker Workshop can help someone decide whether they want to spend the money on something a little more user friendly.

djarchow said:

Yes I did. I really messed that one up. Thanks for catching that.

Regarding the Wallin jig for speaker workshop, I never saw the need for that. If you choose to do impedance meausrements with SoundEasy (or SpeakerWorkshop) a simple voltage divider can be put right inline with your cable. In any case the poster has the wooferr tester so I would assume he would be using that for t/s measurements.

SoundEasy, just like LspCad, Leap, Praxis, Clio etc is an engineering tool. To get the most out of it, you need to understand what you are doing when designing a speaker.

Regards,

Dennis

Wanting to know if I would have to build some type of jig to go along with the SE for measuring speaker parameters or could I just use my WT3? Also, where is the best place to order it?

Emile

MJL21193 said:

Yes I have, and would have to agree that they are quickly calculated using x-over 3 pro with bass box program all from harris technologies! I do have quite a few drivers that I would like to design a good set up for them. One set of drivers in particuliar are the Dynaudio D-260 tweeters and the D-76AF midranges. There are other drivers as well that need better design work than what x-over 3 pro can offer. I would guess that I will have to order the SE program and begin a new journey!

Emile

MJL21193 said:

Yes I have, and would have to agree that they are quickly calculated using x-over 3 pro with bass box program all from harris technologies! I do have quite a few drivers that I would like to design a good set up for them. One set of drivers in particuliar are the Dynaudio D-260 tweeters and the D-76AF midranges. There are other drivers as well that need better design work than what x-over 3 pro can offer. I would guess that I will have to order the SE program and begin a new journey!

Emile

You can use your WT3 to do all your impedance ant t/s measurements. As for making a jig for SE, you can get by with a simple cable with aligator clips on the ends and a single resistor in series with one of the clips. John K's users guide spells this all out.

Regards,

Dennis

djarchow said:

You can use your WT3 to do all your impedance ant t/s measurements. As for making a jig for SE, you can get by with a simple cable with aligator clips on the ends and a single resistor in series with one of the clips. John K's users guide spells this all out.

Regards,

Dennis

Where can I get John K's user guide? Also will this guide help me to set the program up?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.