Using 12" guitar element as high efficiency midrange? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2009, 01:31 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elias
Propably it's very true that distortion is very different. However, I've never seen any published distortion plots of any guitar drivers, so direct comparison to PA drivers is impossible at this point.
That's because guitar drivers are not sold on their technical specifications but on their sound (read: how much and where they distort the most). This is because guitar cabs aren't technically speakers but instruments themselves.

Guitar drivers are made specifically with too low mass and too big a motor so that they distort heavily. If you make the effort of taming these distortions you end up with a normal PA midrange driver.
Old 29th January 2009, 01:55 AM   #12
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturnus

Guitar drivers are made specifically with too low mass and too big a motor so that they distort heavily. If you make the effort of taming these distortions you end up with a normal PA midrange driver.

Maybe or maybe not.

There are all kinds of guitar drivers and PA midbass. Regarding the ratio of cone mass and motor strength, guitar drivers are not always lighter and stronger...

I think the major 'problems' of guitar drivers are those not-so-controlled (or specifically controlled) cone breakups in the mid-high frequencies. With the not-low-enough voice coil inductance, rising impedance, and the cone full of breakups, the sound in this frenquency range is almost produced by cone breakups and not properly driven by motor!

But on the other hand, PA drivers also do not always perform good enough in this problematic mid-high region which "bothers" guitar drivers. 12" PA midbass drivers are usually not used up to 3~5kHz where the same size guitar drivers usually show their 'tones'.

Simply put, many PA drivers also show severe breakups above 2kHz which should be filtered out by xover. If these breakup region of guitar drivers were also filtered out, they can perform very well (or at least fair) -- of course you need inherently smooth ones.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elias

I'm looking for relative big (10-12") cone with very low cone mass, and high sensitivity. PA drivers seems to have heavy cone mass, instead guitar drivers seems to fit in here. Vintage appearance does not hurt either

"Playing" with guitar drivers is great fun, but they are definitely not a good choice at the start of a speaker system plan. There are many things can and should be done to the drivers themselves -- this may or may not be a good thing.

If you already had some on hand or can get some with very little cost, feel free to try them (and be prepared for all the mess). If not, guitar driver is indeed not a good choice.

It's not and shouldn't be a clear yes or no. It's how you see it with the whole thing.

Right now my speakers (with 12" guitar drivers as mids) are playing classical music -- piano solo now and chamber music a few minutes earlier. With helps from xover, tweeters and woofers, as a mid on OB, it's not bad at all -- a very vivid and dynamic sound, with not so pronouced colorations sometimes.

But to be honest, I'm playing with these drivers because they are laying around, not used for some time, and very cheap. So I can do some experientments without hesitation. I did not expect much, and it turns out very good -- it's just a bonus to me.

This definitely won't be my ultimate midrange, but great fun for a while.
Old 29th January 2009, 04:35 AM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

A German company list a very nice looking special Eminence Legend 122 /20watt, alnico with paper voice coil former...interesting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg [lt]eminence_legend_122_20w_blue_141721.jpg (4.7 KB, 546 views)
Old 29th January 2009, 04:37 AM   #14
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

They also have a Legend 1o2 /20watt, alnico with paper voice coil former
Attached Images
File Type: jpg [lt]eminence_legend_102_35w_141728.jpg (5.4 KB, 536 views)
Old 29th January 2009, 08:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One should note the high Qts of these drivers. They are best suited for OB purposes.
There's a guy,Robert Bastani http://www.bastanis.com/ who uses some "custom-made" Celestions in OBs for the exact purpose of the original thread's question.Nothing spectacular about these 12's since they're some variation of a certain mass-produced guitar driver model,though Bastani's followers swear about it
Some 12-15 years ago I tried a wide plethora of guitar/PA 12's for the same reason:to get a great 12' mid in my system.Nothing worked as I wanted to,mainly because no such driver unit "coped" with the tweeters I wanted to use (some great bullets,I cannot remember wich ones).
Of course,time has passed and the guitar drivers' industry grew constantly.Though,I'm still kinda skeptical about a guitar/PA 12'...ANY such 12' used in a 3-way home system,no matter how high the Bastanis are praised by their followers.
Quote:
Guitar drivers are made specifically with too low mass and too big a motor so that they distort heavily.
Hmmmm...according to your statement,Lowther drivers (8',membranes weightning a few grams AND a HUGE magnetic field in theirs' gaps) should distort heavily....but they don't.
Regards,
Old 29th January 2009, 10:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Basseur
Hmmmm...according to your statement,Lowther drivers (8',membranes weightning a few grams AND a HUGE magnetic field in theirs' gaps) should distort heavily....but they don't.
Regards,
Actually I would postulate that they do, just as my own Fostex 206e's does. It's more the manor in which they distort and how it's attempted tamed that marks a great driver from a bad driver. And practically any driver regardless of cost has some use, it might not be in hi-fi, though.

Remember all music is always distorted sound. Always!
Old 29th January 2009, 10:06 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Here, won't empty your wallet either:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-402
and
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-409

PE has a nice chooser

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

P10-100MB is on sale.
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html..._8-10_mid.html
did anyone have experience with this beast?
some parameters are wrong, get info from P.audio website.
Old 29th January 2009, 02:42 PM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Actually I would postulate that they do, just as my own Fostex 206e's does.
No need to postulate, they (Lowthers) do. Like all minimal Xmax 'FR' drivers they quickly go into a ~euphonic distortion due to a rising effective Qts as it leaves the gap and then the ugly distortion of suspension non-linearity hammers you on wide BW transients.

GM
Old 29th January 2009, 08:38 PM   #20
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
They also have a Legend 1o2 /20watt, alnico with paper voice coil former
I find Legend 102 very interesting when looking at the specs

Click the image to open in full size.

I just love that looks

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/legend-1028k.pdf

10" cone and only 15g of moving mass.. yummy! This is the same mass per area as in Supravox drivers which have very light cones.

AlNiCo magnet is a legendary material itself, although I'm not sure how it's characteristics will show up when listening at 'normal' level well below heavy distortion. I'm not a guitarist but I understand that magnet material will show some tone when signal level is very high in the coil. In home listening things may be different.

- Elias

Hide this!Advertise here!