Which 4th order XOs are phase coherent? Are SWs of value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going to ask for suggestions for a phase coherent, low cost, 4th order, 3-way XO, with a 4th order Linkwitz Riley.
Surfing the threads on this subject, I saw conflicting opinions.

Hopefully most of us agree that phase coherent = (in simple terms) no phase distortion.

Steepness:
4th order allows the drivers to cover a wider range. The XO costs a little more, but arguably you can ‘leverage’ the driver more. :cool:
OTOH, some prefer the sound of systems that use low order XOs, the transition between drivers being smoother. ;)
Either way, the total slope is the sum of the XO and the driver’s response.

But let’s leave aside the pros and cons of steepness FTTB.

Some say the 4th order LR is not phase coherent, because a “square wave (SW) passed through does not output a square wave”.
I’m alas not an audio engineer, but while SWs probably test phase, does this go too far, ie is it relevant to the end goal:
Who can validate the meaningfulness of the SW test, as correlating with the ability to reproduce music (complex sine waves) well?

I believe that generally tube amps do not pass square waves (SW) well, but many play music well.

BTW, Anyone know how the SS but somewhat tubelike mids of Alephs fare on the ‘SW test’?

Cheers

Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.