What beats the R2904/7000 ring radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bump!

Very interesting thread. I actually read from 1st to the very last post made above me.

But there was no conclusion to what is a better tweeter.

Since this thread is over 2 years old with no information update, I wonder anyone has actually owned, build, listened and measured the three tweeters below.

I like to hear someone's opinion both subjective and objectively for the tweeters below and how they stack up in the HD and Dispersion accuracy.

Scanspeak D3004/6640-00 Be Dome
Scanspeak R2904/7000-00 Ring Radiator
RAAL 150-4D Amorphous Core Ribbon

My apologies! My brain went into over drive after reading this whole thread and typed the RAAL model incorrectly in my post before.

It should read RAAL 140-15D Amorphous Core Ribbon.

It should read RAAL 140-15D Amorphous Core Ribbon.
Megasat, it does not really matter what it reads. These are three different tweeters for two and a half or three different applications. Take the one that fits your application. In case you don't know what your application is, double-check

off axis behavior / directivity match @ x-over point to the next larger driver.

For some of my applications, the BE dome would be worthwhile auditioning. But the price tag is scary.

Megasat, it does not really matter what it reads. These are three different tweeters for two and a half or three different applications. Take the one that fits your application. In case you don't know what your application is, double-check off axis behavior / directivity match @ x-over point to the next larger driver.

Thanks 6.283! I am now in the information gathering stage. Not really in a specific application designing stage. But when the drivers are picked, it's my best interest to get them worked together in unison.

And you can't always manufacturer plots come with the data sheets.
For some of my applications, the BE dome would be worthwhile auditioning. But the price tag is scary.

I think the price of BE dome isn't too bad when compared to other high end commercial speaker offering but only if the BE dome works better and sounds better than $40 tweeter raved by DIYers.

Unfortunately I have not listened to the 2904/7000 in a very long time.

I really like listening to the low end version (i.e. Vifa XT25BG04 / SS R2604/8330) which is better based on frequency response. The top octave is perfectly flat, and sounds very nice compared to the Mundorf AMT's I use. The dual magnet XT25 has very low distortion around 1-2k compared to the single magnet version, so I'm not recommending the small one. I believe Zaph also felt the XT25 was a better value, though he only tested the small one.

Which brings me to my second suggestion, yes, the Mundorf AMT's. There are significant differences in dispersion characteristics among the three tweeters, which is important. Measurement wise, the Mundorf AMT's are just unimpeachable (a phrase I have a feeling we'll here a lot of in the next four years, boom!). Incredibly low distortion, immeasurable compression (at least with OmniMic) and high power handling and no ringing even in the sealed versions.

Lastly, the low-ball ScanSpeak Beryllium tweeters ($270 - $290) are two I would have to investigate before spending the big bucks on the R2904/7000. In this case the small one looks easier to integrate, and I'm a bit of a Be slut.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
I've tried all sorts of tweeters, except the ring radiators to date.

They are all pretty awful IMO. I've had a bad time with spitty Morel soft-domes and grainy Visaton mylar domes. The last images.

It's a relief to get back to cone tweeters.
HT-22/8

£7 a pop, 92mm rebate, and great musicality. I'd consider some ring radiators because they address the hopeless dome breakup at the centre of domes. Ribbons, an all that, yeah, why not. I've heard some good ones.

Attachments

• 8 inch bass construction.jpg
    8 inch bass construction.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Monacor HT-22 BW3 Cone tweeter.PNG
    Monacor HT-22 BW3 Cone tweeter.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 586
  • Monacor HT-22 Cone tweeter.PNG
    Monacor HT-22 Cone tweeter.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Sony SCD-M77 CD Player.jpg
    Sony SCD-M77 CD Player.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 308
  • Visaton Build.jpg
    Visaton Build.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 338
Steve, "I don't live in the past" strikes again! :D :D :D

Seriously though, I wonder if you aren't also a big fan of that tight dispersion pattern. :) If so, try an inexpensive ($30ish) ring radiator. :)

Steve when you say "hopeless dome breakup" is there an easy statistic or graph to say "Aha, there's what Steve was talking about!" ??? I mean, is this something I could see in all those fancy dome spec sheets, or do I need to do targeted testing?

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.