Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Dynaudio Esotec 17WLQ vs. 17W75LQ?
Dynaudio Esotec 17WLQ vs. 17W75LQ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2009, 07:44 PM   #1
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaudio Esotec 17WLQ vs. 17W75LQ?

I searched, really!

Are the two model numbers above describing the exact same driver or two different drivers? The label was removed from drivers in my posession.

Old Madisound "Reader Service #38" is confusing, showing "17WLQ" above the text while the accompanying graph shows "17W75LQ".

A professional tested my midbass & said it appears to be an 8-Ohm version of the 4-Ohm driver described by Madisound. After that I noticed the above potential discrepency.

I will need to know what is being replaced if my WTB search fails. Is there a close or identical replacement to either model (if different) in the current Dynaudio car line?

Any help is much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what was ETA for the above midbass(') & the Esotec D-260 tweeter?
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
David Gatti is offline David Gatti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I believe they are the same model. The "75" only refers to the voice-coil diameter which is the same for all the "17" models.

Note that they come in both a 4 and 8 ohm version.
Specs here .

You can measure the driver resistance with a multimeter to confirm which version you have. The Dynaudio car line consists of only 4ohm drivers,
so if it is an 8 ohm version, you'll need to wait for one on Ebay, or get a recone done by Madisound here : 17wLQ/RC

http://www.gattiweb.com/dynaudio.html
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The mystery continues...

Dynaudio replied: "...some differences...but...primarily the same by design..." Specific difference not specified.

Madisound full reply: "Same."

Go figure.

Where's Abby & the NCIS lab when you need them?
Old 24th January 2009, 01:24 AM   #4
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

The first two pairs of midwoofers I bought were the 17WLQ and 20W75, both 4-ohm versions, back in 1995. I still have them. I've never seen a model number 17W75LQ in any literature, neither through Solen in Quebec where I bought these nor anywhere else. I would be surprised to learn that there was a distinct version with that number that was not just another reference to the 17WLQ, but that's not to say that it's not the case.

Dave
Old 24th January 2009, 09:00 AM   #5
andrew01 is offline andrew01  Australia
diyAudio Member

Could be an OEM version factory made for a client like Duntech or similar....
Old 24th January 2009, 01:45 PM   #6
nickmckinney is offline nickmckinney  Barbados
diyAudio Member RIP

I have a pair of 17W75LQ from about 96 but never heard of a 17WLQ myself.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I'm probably not the only one w/ Madisound "Reader Service #38" laying 'round, mentioning both models.

Here's a current Madisound link mentioning "17W75":
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=174
It's quite confusing that the main Dynaudio page lists two different recones, both for "17W75".

Potential alternative 6.5" from Morel & HiVi appear to have rougher response, esp taller peaks in the 2.5-4kHz range. I'm surprised the HiVi response may be smoother vs. the Morel. All or most have another peak above the first rolloff, a problem the Dynaudio lacks.

I'm NOT surprised the current Esotec Mobile MW162 may be the best alternative (ouch! $220ea).
Old 24th January 2009, 11:24 PM   #8
nickmckinney is offline nickmckinney  Barbados
diyAudio Member RIP

17W75 is a very different driver than the 17W75LQ
Old 16th February 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
the amp guy is offline the amp guy  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Anyone found out the differences between 17W75LQ and 17W LQ ?
Old 17th February 2012, 02:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Two model numbers identify the same driver. Comparing the two #'s, the "75" simply refers to the voice coil diameter, inserted between the "W" and "LQ".

In a well-tuned system these are still hard to fault: eminently musical, very compatible with 1st order.

With all due respect to Zaph Audio, who appears to be a huge DIY blessing. He made a sweeping overall negative statement of Dynaudio drivers back when they sold to OEM and DIY. I'd have to say, regarding these two models (Esotec midbass and dome) he was quite wrong. Costly (midbass extremely), yes. Inferior general quality, way wrong. In John's defense, his tests might not have included these particular Esotec drivers, which totally nullifies my criticism.

This system employs six midbass and six domes (pure analog Trinaural Processor, two each midbass and tweeter per each of three channels). In a 3000cf soundroom it plays live levels with no audible distortion (with the right amp, about 88 dB/W/M, 2.7 Ohms minimum @ 200 Hz). Bass cutoff, linearity, and distortion seem exceptionally good.

Last edited by ro9397; 17th February 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Dynaudio Esotec 17WLQ vs. 17W75LQ?Hide this!Advertise here!