Dynaudio Esotec 17WLQ vs. 17W75LQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched, really!

Are the two model numbers above describing the exact same driver or two different drivers? The label was removed from drivers in my posession.

Old Madisound "Reader Service #38" is confusing, showing "17WLQ" above the text while the accompanying graph shows "17W75LQ".

A professional tested my midbass & said it appears to be an 8-Ohm version of the 4-Ohm driver described by Madisound. After that I noticed the above potential discrepency.

I will need to know what is being replaced if my WTB search fails. Is there a close or identical replacement to either model (if different) in the current Dynaudio car line?

Any help is much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what was ETA for the above midbass(') & the Esotec D-260 tweeter?

I believe they are the same model. The "75" only refers to the voice-coil diameter which is the same for all the "17" models.

Note that they come in both a 4 and 8 ohm version.
Specs here .

You can measure the driver resistance with a multimeter to confirm which version you have. The Dynaudio car line consists of only 4ohm drivers,
so if it is an 8 ohm version, you'll need to wait for one on Ebay, or get a recone done by Madisound here : 17wLQ/RC

http://www.gattiweb.com/dynaudio.html

The first two pairs of midwoofers I bought were the 17WLQ and 20W75, both 4-ohm versions, back in 1995. I still have them. I've never seen a model number 17W75LQ in any literature, neither through Solen in Quebec where I bought these nor anywhere else. I would be surprised to learn that there was a distinct version with that number that was not just another reference to the 17WLQ, but that's not to say that it's not the case.

Dave

Thanks!

I'm probably not the only one w/ Madisound "Reader Service #38" laying 'round, mentioning both models.

Here's a current Madisound link mentioning "17W75":
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=125&products_id=174
It's quite confusing that the main Dynaudio page lists two different recones, both for "17W75".

Potential alternative 6.5" from Morel & HiVi appear to have rougher response, esp taller peaks in the 2.5-4kHz range. I'm surprised the HiVi response may be smoother vs. the Morel. All or most have another peak above the first rolloff, a problem the Dynaudio lacks.

I'm NOT surprised the current Esotec Mobile MW162 may be the best alternative (ouch! $220ea).

Two model numbers identify the same driver. Comparing the two #'s, the "75" simply refers to the voice coil diameter, inserted between the "W" and "LQ".

In a well-tuned system these are still hard to fault: eminently musical, very compatible with 1st order.

With all due respect to Zaph Audio, who appears to be a huge DIY blessing. He made a sweeping overall negative statement of Dynaudio drivers back when they sold to OEM and DIY. I'd have to say, regarding these two models (Esotec midbass and dome) he was quite wrong. Costly (midbass extremely), yes. Inferior general quality, way wrong. In John's defense, his tests might not have included these particular Esotec drivers, which totally nullifies my criticism.

This system employs six midbass and six domes (pure analog Trinaural Processor, two each midbass and tweeter per each of three channels). In a 3000cf soundroom it plays live levels with no audible distortion (with the right amp, about 88 dB/W/M, 2.7 Ohms minimum @ 200 Hz). Bass cutoff, linearity, and distortion seem exceptionally good.

Last edited:
So, it is not a mistake to take ANY version of the LQ for a DIY 2-way project?

"LQ" alone is not a Dynaudio model number.

Does all of the LQ versions correspond to the frequency response and impedance curve from this PDF:
http://www.gattiweb.com/images/dynaudio/17wLQ_data.pdf
ie the graphs can be used for any 17WLQ driver?

Your meaning in the term "...all of the LQ versions..." is unknown and unknowable. Try listing specific model numbers.

"17W75LQ" and "17WLQ" are two different model nomenclatures for one particular Dynaudio model. IIRC, the "official" Dynaudio nomenclature is 17WLQ, while Madisound (ex-Dynaudio distributor) employed the term 17W75LQ.

Again: "75" in 17W75LQ refers to the voice coil diameter (17 is overall diameter in cm).

17WLQ came in two impedance: 8 Ohm and 4 Ohm. Maybe this is what you meant by "...all of the LQ versions...?"

What part of the following is unclear? :)

17W75LQ = 17WLQ

For my own info: If you posit a driver labeled "17W75LQ" lives within both the Contour and Audience 2-way monitors: What may I ask is your source for that info?

Depending on price I'd purchase a spare if you find one. Ditto D260 dome...no trouble so far, but White Star Lines hired Captain Smith for the Titanic's maiden voyage because Smith had a trouble-free 33 year career...he cancelled the Sunday lifeboat drill to sign autographs after the "church service" among other faux pas, culminating in about 1490 deaths in one of the more infamous shipping tragedies.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.