Boston Acoustics T830 / rebuild vs change to Polk Monitor 10s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I 've had a pair of T830s for almost 20 years now - great sound but the foam in both woofers melted. B/A does not offer replacement woofers anymore, so I am left with 3 choices: 1) buy a 3rd party woofer (any recommendations?), 2) buy a re-foam kit (very cheap, but does anyone know if they work?), or 3) change to a new speaker (I'm looking at Polk's Monitor 10 - they're old, but they have rubber on the woofers so will last longer, and used they cost about as much as replacing both woofers in the T830s).

Anybody have any experience to share on any of these 3 options?

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
Mattias

They are a nice speaker, so if the cabinet is in good nick, I'd attempt to restore them.
Buying a 3rd party replacement woofer is almost certain to be unsuitable.
Refoaming can work fine if a good job is done, preferably with a high quality foam or rubber surround, which should see you through another 15 years. If you're not confident, take it to a speaker shop to get it done professionally.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.