Coaxial Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello lejaybo, They don't make them anymore, but Vifa did make a small coaxial at one point, the A10CC-07. I haven't gotten to using them yet, but I do have a pair, in cabs now, just need the crossover components. Here's a link to one company in the USA that carries surplus ones.

http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

Peace,

Dave

P.S. I'm sure there are others, just don't know of them. You could also try making a bracket to hold a tweeter over the mid/woof, thus making your own coaxial.

GM

Joined 2003
lejaybo said:
hello

been searching though the forum but can't what i'm looking for

has anybody used car speakers in cabinets?

and does anyone make budget Coaxial Driver ?

Made many a pair decades ago, but back then their specs and response were more favorable than now due to dramatic changes/improvement in vehicle design. Today it appears that the three way units are where it's at: http://www.worldsbestloudspeakers.com/index.html

GM

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Don't have it any more but I got a pair of old speakers on eB8 a little while ago, an old SEAS 12inch woofer with a small tweeter mounted on a frame in the middle, over the woofers dust cap.
As Dave said in post #5 it would be very easy to do, how it sounds would depend on your crossover skills I suppose.
All it would take is some flat aluminium bar-stock and a reasonable Neo tweeter like the Vifa DN26.
Maybe it's something I should try myself ( one day )

Vifa coaxials on PE buyout

FYI. There are various Vifa coaxial drivers on "buyout" at PE. I bought 4 of the A16CJ drivers for an auto install (yikes, another project!). IMHO build quality is good. Listened to them with no baffle to insure they were functional. Wasn't listening critically though. So, no opinion on that.

PE Vifa coaxials

Auto speakers

Most speakers designed for auto use have high Qts and are better for sealed enclosures and don't work well in ported, horn or pipe type systems. The 6 X 9 types have good mid dispersion and some of the coax models sound pretty good but all are 4 ohm and are tilted toward absorbing huge amounts of power to produce one note bass The ideal would be a 6 X 9 with a Qts of .5 , an Fs of 40 to 50, and be 8 ohms with a wizzer cone. They would be great for today's full range market, allowing a slim tower profile for most horn of pipe designs. We used to make such speakers in the US. They were used in portable tape machine, phonos, consoles and autos, before the 4 ohm car audio craze of today.

Car speakers are made with a lot of compromises, so you should not expect a lot. Look for a pair of used Tannoy dual cocentric speakers on ebay, they would be a better option. You may find them for 120-130 pounds incl. shipping, the last summer I got a pair of 8" Tannoys for 120 pounds ( incl. shipping to Bulgaria ) and after some modifications on the xovers, which were also included in this price, the result was very good.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.