Bose 901 construction and wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need the Bose 901 Speaker enclosure construction details and the wiring diagram that connects the enclosed speakers. Either one of these Plans, or both, would be welcome. Especially for series V and VI.

I 'm trying to upgrade an older 901 to a series V, or VI version. I have the Series V crossover box.

Also have the Patent information that describes the theory behind the Bose 901 product. It contains the wiring diagram (not sure which series) but not the speaker enclosure construction details.

A prior Post, in 2002, by Timo, contained words but no pictures or diagrams--not all that helpful.

Krakus said:
Need the Bose 901 Speaker enclosure construction details and the wiring diagram that connects the enclosed speakers. Either one of these Plans, or both, would be welcome. Especially for series V and VI.

I 'm trying to upgrade an older 901 to a series V, or VI version. I have the Series V crossover box.

Also have the Patent information that describes the theory behind the Bose 901 product. It contains the wiring diagram (not sure which series) but not the speaker enclosure construction details.

A prior Post, in 2002, by Timo, contained words but no pictures or diagrams--not all that helpful.

Try contacting Tom Tyson over at classic speaker pages discussion group. PM him once you logon. He's a well known expert on Acoustic Research speakers, and a well known historian who has added many posts recently to the Bose thread area. He's quite technical and may have what you seek.

If ur doing this for home use I would encourage you to build a new speaker system and abandon the Bose layout entirely.

Back in about 1971 I built a variant of the Bose idea by taking higher performance drivers (the Bose drivers were not so good) and making a cabinet that was taller and two wide on the rear, still going for direct/reflecting. The overall sound was better than the Bose because the two vertical reflected columns dispersed more evenly than the Bose's 4x4.

It required far less LF EQ and no HF EQ, as I used tweeters (gasp!) for the high end rather than relying upon heavy (15dB or so) EQ to force some sort of flat response out of the paper cones that Bose used. (a bad idea)

Later, around 1975-6 I went to a straight direct radiating vertical column of 5.25" drivers (you can see that on my website in the Archives area, if you want to). That was better still, by far.

You're short a drivers, i think, if you try to go for the newer ported version anyhow...

A whole bunch depends on what ur trying to do, and what ur using it for... the effort/cost vs. result equation ought to be sufficient to guide you that it might be cheaper and easier to buy/find some newer Bose cabinets if that is what you want... shouldn't be too difficult to find them with blown drivers too...

Ymmv...

:D

Bose 901 Series V

I'm a newbie here @DIYaudio. My question is does anyone know how to wire these things back up if you don't really know how to. I took on this project and I'm kinda in a bind right now as how to wire them back up. I'm a major dummy when it comes to this stuff. :)

The series V were wired in series, all 9 of the drivers. It doesn't really matter what order they are wired in unless you still have the original wiring to use. The original wiring order made it easy to assemble as you went and ended up at the last driver which where you had to access the insides. I may have a schematic somewhere or I can at least tell you the sequence that makes it the easiest to assemble.

You must first identify which series you have. The first two series were acoustic suspension, and used nine 8 ohm drivers in a series/paralel configuration. Series III through VI used nine .9 ohm drivers all wired in series. Series III and IV had an additional terminal for use only with the Bose Spacial Control Receiver. Series III through VI are easy to identify, as there are three ports sticking out the back of each enclose. The 1st two series have no ports.

Attachments

• Bose 402.jpg
    Bose 402.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Bose

Well, first Do not loose time or money trying to upgrade a Bose. Their quality is way to low to be used as a HIFI. There are many people that go crazy just for the name Bose. you can get way better speakers for the money that you want to "waist" in the upgrade. if I were you, I would sell them to a guy with no knowledge in audio at all (They love these staff).:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.