Looking for 3way speaker designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for some 3way speaker designs, for instance 10/12" + 5" + tweet (just guessing at sizes). I've seen gobs of DIY designs for smaller 2way 'book shelf' speakers but cant find anything bigger. I'm sure they're out there, I'm just not doing a very good job finding them.

At present I don't have an amp for them yet. I have most of the expensive parts (i.e. transformer & heatsinks) to make a solid 100W amp, I'll probably make it a 100x5 for HT use as well. I'm considering the Leach lowTIM but haven't committed myself yet.

They are going in a smallish area of about 15' x 30'. I'd like to be able to really crank some AC/DC so they may not be treated to gingerly but I'd still like good sound quality. I'm hoping to be able to put these speakers to double duty as the front pair of speakers for a HT setup but I don't know if that's a reasonable request or not.

I know I'm going to get asked about budget and I really can't answer that right now since I don't know what it's going to take to make a reasonable pair of speakers.

Any advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• statementspic080107.jpg
    statementspic080107.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 363
sreten said:
... though this
might take your fancy http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

:)/sreten.
Yes those definitely take my fancy. He really does an awesome write up of his designs, though at least half of it is over my head. A few questions...

1.) I'm assuming these would work just fine as the front pair for a HT setup?

2.) I'm no one to question Zaph's opinion but I can't help but think that these might be a bit lacking in the bottom end. I would need something for deep base for a HT setup anyway so would some thing like a 12"(or two isobaric) help out here say from ~80Hz and down? I mean 12" meant for music not a rumbly knock the picture off the walls typical sub that would be used for HT. It may not be perfect for watching movies but I'm sure it would be good enough and I'd rather optimize the speakers for music anyway.

3.)again assuming these would be suitable for HT use, could you suggest something for a center channel and satellites (only going 5.1)? Would the FR125S be suitable?

BTW Thanks everyone for the info!!

Hi,

1)
Cannot see why not.

2)
IM0 you need a sub that can be set to a very low cutoff.
See REL site for the philosophy. Use this for music.
Make the input switchable betwen this and line level bypass.
You can then use this input for HT controlled by the HTamplifier.

3) FR125S ? not IMO.
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Calypso/calypso.html ?
Same tweeter. Seas coated paper bass/mid.
Same acoustic XO slopes, very diffrent XO.
in these cabinets ?
http://undefinition.googlepages.com/diy-orientexpress

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.