tell me where I'm wrong. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2009, 02:34 PM   #31
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raypalmer
Hrmmm...

I'm thinking that a 55Hz response floor is what's in order. But the WA factor demands I keep my box under about 12.5 litres.

So in order to make my TL mini-monitor dream come true I need to find a new, much more suited driver I think.

What values should I look for in the TS measurements for a small woofer to deliver desired bass from such a small box?
Hmm, a T/S max flat alignment is around 47 L/42 Hz, so by the time you shrink it down to 12.5 L there's a ~3 dB bump in the mid-bass and the bass is MIA. Tune it higher and the bump increases. Make it ~aperiodic and you have a mids driver, so yeah, a different driver is in order and to hit your 'marks' with a TL you'll need one with a 4.87 L Vas, 55 Hz Fs and 0.403 Qts. Maybe B@$3 has a replacement Wave Radio driver that will work.

GM
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:37 PM   #32
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
The Fonken Floorstander........
I thought 'Fonken' designs only referred to Onken style ported alignments.

GM
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:06 PM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
I thought 'Fonken' designs only referred to Onken style ported alignments.
Greg,

There is a whole series of boxes that are variations on the volume and tuning of the FonkenPrime. The FS isn't quite as refined sonically as the FonkenPrime, but is the easiest to build, has a very small foorprint, and does not require a stand.

Althou those who tell me that the Fonken fits within the parameters of an "official" Onken (ie you can plug it into the spreadsheet) that is not how i developed it, basically taking only the physical configuation of the ports for their inherent panel stiffness and that they fullfilled my goal of a port with highish rsistance.
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Well Planet10 I have to thank you for bringing that Tabaq to my attention. It's <b>so</b> cheap and simple I'll build a pair of those while a build whatever enclosures I end up for for the Peerless'. And whichever I prefer can be my second room speakers.
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:20 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
The Fonken Floorstander Mk 1, the Cyburgs Needle, and TABAK would all satisfy your physical limitation. The last 2 are TLs.

dave

Dave, I also say thanks for the links.

Do ya suppose the TABAK would also work with the HiVi B3N? Seems doable, but I'm still in the dark w/out Mathcad.

I was hoping to try a BIB someday, but the HiVi's high Qts and Vas made that impractical.

-- TubaMark
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:46 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tubamark
Do ya suppose the TABAK would also work with the HiVi B3N? Seems doable, but I'm still in the dark w/out Mathcad./QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure someone has done that... there is a thread here.

I should also be getting some surplus & maybe some used W3-871s for those who want to use the original driver. I'll also likely be EnABLing some of those.

dave
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:25 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Other boxes, based on the original box sizing and half-inch ply construction. External dimensions 66cm (h) x 28cm (d) x 22.5cm (w).

Box 1 - slot ported bass reflex. Slot port is 2cm high, 17cm long, and runs the full width of the speaker box. f3 <45Hz. Includes some 'spare' space for bracing the box internally. Front firing port (so it can sit close to a wall - literally on a bookshelf).

Box 2 - round ported bass reflex. Port is 2-inch (5cm) pipe and 3 inches long. f3 <45Hz. Includes some 'spare' space for bracing the box internally. Front firing port (so it can sit close to a wall - literally on a bookshelf).

Box 3 - sealed enclosure. f3 ~70Hz. Includes some 'spare' space for bracing the box internally. Simplest to build.

These are all modelled without stuffing. Extra stuffing would probably need an extra cm port length for Box 1, half a cm on Box 2 and no change for Box 3.

More options for your Peerless'! Was that original box size OK with the Mrs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tl.jpg (45.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:16 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I love them. She doesn't. Needs to be eight 12"ish by 6"ish by 8"ish or not at all... Tabaq's here I come I guess..

Hide this!Advertise here!