Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2009, 03:56 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hrmmm...

I'm thinking that a 55Hz response floor is what's in order. But the WA factor demands I keep my box under about 12.5 litres. Some cursory number crunching on some of the resources I've been put on to with this thread suggest I simply cannot achieve a low enough frequency range given the size restrictions. Which is sad, but I'll still have those peerless' for my Mk.3 speakers.

So in order to make my TL mini-monitor dream come true I need to find a new, much more suited driver I think.

What values should I look for in the TS measurements for a small woofer to deliver desired bass from such a small box?
Old 21st January 2009, 04:10 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Just be patient ans see what fwater comes back with...

dave
It may be able to be done...patience
Old 21st January 2009, 01:13 PM   #23
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

Holy cow. I am so sorry, raypalmer, I forgot to complete my assignment. You'll have it tonight.
Old 21st January 2009, 01:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fwater
Holy cow. I am so sorry, raypalmer, I forgot to complete my assignment. You'll have it tonight.

No worries! Your time is yours to do with as you please!
Old 21st January 2009, 01:33 PM   #25
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm glad that you feel that way. I think you'll be pleased at unveiling...
Old 21st January 2009, 10:26 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fwater
Couple of alternative layout possibilites (given the dimensions specified earlier).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tl.jpg (34.9 KB, 156 views)
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:05 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by raypalmer
under about 12.5 litres....
What values should I look for in the TS measurements for a small woofer to deliver desired bass from such a small box?
If you want a TL... start looking at 3"-4 speakers.... your volume restriction suggests that a TL might not be the best choice.

dave
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:09 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I can do small-footprint floorstanders... As long as I keep the box small in length and width, then I can apply height. (I just had my my wife explain exactly what is and isn't allowed in the living room)

Would it be sensible to take some of cloth ears' revised designs and just expand them out to about 85cm in height?
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:26 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raypalmer
Would it be sensible to take some of cloth ears' revised designs and just expand them out to about 85cm in height?
They were more to tickle fwater's imagination when he's modelling your driver in a TL (I'm not sure what he's using). The driver in question does appear to need a bit of volume when in a sealed or BR enclosure.

But, with your original sizing 0.66m x 0.28m (assuming they are external dimensions) x 20cm (assuming this is an internal dimension) gives a volume of 32 litres. take away any bracing and the volume of the driver and you've probably got about 29 litres. When you look at 'unstuffed' sims, this is a sealed Qtc of 0.685 (good). And the same sized box (including a 3"dia port of 5.3" length) gives good response - if having a 2dB raised output around 75Hz (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

If that size box is OK with SWMBO, then you might very well be able to put in a TL. If the box is too small, then a TL won't have a chance to work properly and I think it starts to act like a too-small aperiodic enclosure (others will know more). Small foot print floorstanders would probably work also.

Some advice, consult on the finish. Paint it black is OK for some, and others love a good hearty burl veneer - but treating it as a bit of living room sculpture is worthwhile. My bass bins are Tasmanian Oak wood-veneered (which is pretty much a generic name for 'light-coloured wood') and my mains are light Cherry wood-veneer. It's amazing what you can do if it matches the decor.

Can't wait for fwater's results!
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:50 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Fonken Floorstander Mk 1, the Cyburgs Needle, and TABAK would all satisfy your physical limitation. The last 2 are TLs.

picture of Fonken Floorstander Mk II which has a footprint larger than Mk I and a cavity at the bottom for sand fill and greater stability.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!