New audio system for my 'puter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2009, 07:03 PM   #1
ebogga is offline ebogga  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default New audio system for my 'puter

Hello gang,

First time poster, short time follower.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but hopefully someone here would be able to help me out with tips on starting my first DIY projects.

I need a better sound system for my computer then the current Creative POS 2.1 speakers that it has. Mainly listening to music and some light playing around with Logic audio. I've been thinking of building a Gainclone and making some nearfield monitors builds from this site.

Other route would be to buy the Behringer B2030A for 269EUR. I don't mind spending a bit more on the DIY if it means I end up with a better sounding system than the Behringers. Have heard the older Genelecs where these were copied from and they're a tad too analytical for my liking in terms of enjoying music.

So, how well can my DIY spent money compare against the Behringers in terms of sound quality? Don't want a separate sub, so would like something with a semi-decent low range. Also, if you can suggest speaker plans that I should look at, that would be much appreciated. They will be on my desk, so very short listening range.

Thanks for your input!
Old 19th January 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

How big can the speakers get? For near-field use a 1-way will have significant advantages over a multi-way (ie you can't get far enuff away from a multi-way for it to integrate)

I have designed the uFonken specifically for computer use. By themselves they are bass shy... if you can afford the room, the mFonken (about the size of LS3/6A) has better bass.

As to amps i'd suggest that a gainclone would clean up on the Beringer (that going completely on the perception of Beringers attitude of quantity over quality)

For either of the speakers i mentioned 5-20W would be sufficient (the little one needing more power)

dave
Old 19th January 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I too would suggest the mFonkens and would definately pair it with an amp6basic from www.41hz.com. For computer/general use it would be very hard to beat the sound quality of such a system at any reasonable price or size.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:23 PM   #4
ebogga is offline ebogga  Finland
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the suggestions! I'm reading about the mFonken right now, I should definately be able to fit that size on my desktop. Would the driver on the mFonken need to be raised to ear level for best performance? Never heard of the amp6basic, we'll check that out too.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ebogga
Would the driver on the mFonken need to be raised to ear level for best performance?
You could do... i'd just start by wedging the front up do they fire at your head. But in the end you just need to play like you would in any other "room".

dave
Old 21st January 2009, 06:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I to am interested in making some speakers for my computer. I have been looking at purchasing the M-Audio AV40 but a DIY set is more up my ally. I would rather have a set i built myself then bought off a shelf.

But heres where my noobness comes in. Ive been an installer in the Car Audio industry for 6years now and i still dont understand y the use of a tweeter with a midrange isnt more commonly used on this site. Do the fullrange setups really sounds that much better than a midrange with a tweeter?

Most of my listening is mp3 quality while im surfing the net or playing xbox. But im an audiophile at heart and am missing that beautiful full sound while im sitting at my computer.

Just wanna tag along with this post if thats ok.
Old 21st January 2009, 06:53 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tigh4life
i still dont understand y the use of a tweeter with a midrange isnt more commonly used on this site. Do the fullrange setups really sounds that much better than a midrange with a tweeter.
All the fullrange converts will say yes (even if they add a tweeter way high up (ie like most of the car co-axes, just look at the size of the cap crossing over the tweeter and do the math)

The multi-way guys will say a midbass + tweeter is better (many of them haven't heard a good FR (but then of course i'd say that, i'm a Fullranger -- althou i worked hifi for a long well, and am well familiar with and have owned many multiways)

In this case we are talking about nearfield where you just can't get far enuff away from a multiway for the 2 sepaerate acoustic sources to gel...

dave
Old 21st January 2009, 06:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Try a pair of MarkAudio Alpair 10 drivers (in Finland www.audioparts.fi is selling them). They are quite pricey though. TB W4-1320SB (or whatever is latest version) also look fine (lack a little bit in upper registers though, maybe not a problem in comp use).
Old 21st January 2009, 06:55 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tigh4life
M-Audio AV40 but a DIY set is more up my ally
And likely a whole lot better...you'd be hard pressed not to be able to build a better sounding speaker than those... even if your budget was only $30-40.

For instance, you are a car guy -- ever get any of the GM/Delco 6x9s as a trade-in or left-overs from an install...

dave
Old 21st January 2009, 07:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ebogga
Would the driver on the mFonken need to be raised to ear level for best performance?
No don't do that, you'll get reflection from the desktop and a notch in FR.

Better build tilted box with the front tilted back at some angle (adjustable with a pair of screw adjusters like the ones used with table legs would be even better). The driver should be quite close to desktop, though you better put a mouse matt or something in front of it to damp the reflections. Table top will also give an extra dB or two boost for the lowest frequencies.

E: Regarding drivers also this new TB might do the job:
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/ta...dW51611SA.html

Hide this!Advertise here!