How Reliable Are McCauley Drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2001, 12:00 AM   #1
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

A DJ cyber-friend of mine just had two Eminence 15 inchers go on him during one gig. He is done with Eminence, even though up until recently he was their biggest booster.

He is looking for a new brand at a somewhat similar price, with reliability the number one issue.

I have heard good things about McCauley, but I thought that I would put it on the board to get some kind of feedback from people who have had extensive experience with pro sound.

Any other recommendations for pro sound drivers that are reliable? His amp is a 350 Watt BK Electronics amp, (made in Britain).

I appreciate any advice on this matter.
Old 6th December 2001, 12:50 AM   #2
Ignite is offline Ignite  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ignite
Most good quality drivrers don't break during normal operation. I'd imagine he was running them beyond thier specifications. Many of the eminence drivers currently on the market do not have particularily high power ratings. I recall seeing one 15 inch driver with a RMS power rating of 50 watts. I would want to check the power rating of the drivers he was using before blaming the drivers for the failure.
Old 6th December 2001, 01:03 AM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Ignite:

They were Eminence Kappa 15-400 Watts. He plays them virtually every night -that is his business. They used to be reliable, but lately they are not. He has not changed his amp or done anything different to account for the difference.
Old 16th August 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

8 years ago I have realized some sub bass projects with the 6258 in the kind as to see on the attached pictures. Until now no problems were noted.
Here the data sheet of the transducer:
McCauley.com : Products: Components > 6258: Overview
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McCauley woofer1.jpg (954.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg McCauley woofer2.jpg (951.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 17th August 2011, 08:36 AM   #5
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Household usage is very different from PA.

2 pro sound 18" in a big box playing in an ordinary living room, I don't worry about any problem with the drivers. People in that house would have more 'problem' before the drivers.

ps. nice build.
Old 17th August 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Erik F is offline Erik F  United States
diyAudio Member

Uh your friends amp is under powered that is what most likely blew up is shazel. Clipping your amp is the quickest way to speaker cone death. Also if he blew both I have to call user error.
Old 17th August 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik F View Post
Uh your friends amp is under powered that is what most likely blew up is shazel. Clipping your amp is the quickest way to speaker cone death. Also if he blew both I have to call user error.
This doesn't seem entirely unlikely, could a difference in music format - a change for example from classic rock to highly compressed rap/hip-hop or electronica be behind the issue?

The original post seems to imply that the particular eminence drivers were reliable but are no longer - this implies that there have been repeated instances of blown drivers starting with the original old "reliable" ones failing followed in quick succession by the new ones - this would point solidly at something other than the drivers themselves unless they were grossly under-rated for the task.

Next - what is the failure mode? Burned out VC, ripped spider or surround, shredded cone?

Is the box properly loading the woofer, is an HPF filter applied for below box/speaker cut off frequency in order to limit out of band excursion?

Amplifier verified to be OK, no DC on output, no oscillations, good clipping behavior - is this run full range or only woofers only? No problems with tweeters and are they powered by the same amp?

Keltic Wizard can you provide any further details?

It could be the Eminence Kappa drivers, but it would be shame to cook a pair of McCauleys for the same reason..
Old 17th August 2011, 09:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Or it could be a change to low volatile cements. I'd check with Eminence to see what they think. They are pretty sharp folks.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:12 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

"Shazel" is a pretty obscure way of circumventing our censor, I like it..
Old 17th August 2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Erik F is offline Erik F  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha. Also didn't realize this thread was form 2001. I've been out of the diy thing for a bit but have been getting the bug again.

Hide this!Advertise here!