Snell Type 1's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of used Snell Type 1's this weekend. I auditioned these speakers back in '82 or '83 while a poor college student getting ready to graduate. These things made an impression on me. I've always been a fan of Peter Snell's designs, but with that I've never had the opportunity to listen to his Type A's. I've got some K's and EIII's, my sister has J's, so these things are addictive.

The Type 1's popped up on ebay, and I couldn't let them go. They seem to be completely original.

I've put them in my main system, and I think they sound pretty great. Big difference from the EIII's. Obviously with the a 10 inch woofer, the bass extension is much improved, and they sound fast enough. Imaging is spot on. They are revealing some not up to par recordings in my collection so far, and really singing with high quality stuff.

I want to leave them alone for a while. But expect to recap the crossovers. When I pulled out the LF driver, the crossover scared the crap out of me. There are 7 ******* air core chokes in each along with a switch to adjust mid to normal, level 1 and level 2. Guess I will have to figure that one out.

Here's a few pictures

Dan
(wow, pretty tame obscenity filter)

Attachments

• snellsize.jpg
    snellsize.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Hi Lt. Texan,
Saw your query about these on another board, glad you were able to find a pair! I'm fascinated by the drive units being positioned right against the floor - in fact this inspired to lie one of my test boxes down on its side to see what it was like. Do you think you get a convincing image from them? I didn't use a reflector so perhaps that's why things seemed a bit low - as though I was looking down on the music. On the plus side this config. has interesting effects in that you need less compensation for baffle step, and of course floor bounce cancellation is eliminated! Please post further impressions!
Ian

Ian,

I do get a very convincing image. It does seem that everything is focused down a bit, but I can locate things above and around the speakers.

They do seem to have a sweet spot. Toe them in, and you're at the top of an equalateral triangle.

I think the platforms in front direct the music up to you. I don't think these would work well in a casual listening room (like my EIII's do).

Interesting that the baffle is not flat. It is curved slightly to where it steadily decreases its angle and converges close to horizontal.

i do think I have got to replace the tweeter caps in these.

Dan

man these are fantastic speakers!!!!! Peter Snell was brilliant.

spinning Kate Bush / The Dreaming,. By the time Suspended in Gaffa comes on you're just mesmerized. Great imaging. Great dynamics. Detail is fantastic.

A few of my records have sounded not so good at all. A few shine. These are not forgiving loudspeakers.

I need to get to the crossovers and recap as well as rewire.

Hey, nice set! I've got a pair of Snell Type E II's for the same reason. I heard them in the '80s (even owned a pair but traded them up ... and up.... and so on...) and found a good pair used.

Good, serious speakers. I hope yours last a long time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.