Can Silicon Caulk damage speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read that it can, but a professional speaker installation guy told me otherwise. I want to install some little 3 inch speakers in a box, but they don't have screw holes. I need them to be removable. He told me that I could use caulk on the lip of the speakers. Is this true?

As long as the silicone caulk you are using does not have a specific warning against use with metal.
I started using Silicone RTV on avionics in the 70's and have used it with out problems on speakers since.
Vance Dickason uses it in the LDC.
Silicone is a big chemical group. I've have been using Pittsburgh Corning Glass block sealer for a while now. Dow RTV works.

my 1st DIY speakers I built 10+ years ago, I used silicone caulk for exactly the same reason... and those are still playing today, so I woudn't worry, just don't get it on any moving bits :D

but today i prefer Acrylic latex caulk, for it is easier to handle, doesn't smell, and remains flexible forever

Well I found some acrylic latex silicon caulk. That's what the tube says. Very little smell. Can I pry the speakers out of it once the stuff dries?

I'd like to experiment with different amounts of dampening. I'm not using polyfil, but something similar. It's actually a big sheet of aquarium filter that I snagged from work.

Anyways I might need to add more or take some out.

I have yet to find anyone who actually had speaker damage from silicone, it's always anecdotal - a friend, or I heard...
I ( and others ) have put silicone on virtually every part ( on countless speakers ) with no ill effect.
There is no acetic acid in it, it is a site reaction; The amount formed when curing is minuscule. Somewhere I have a research paper on silicone curing detailing.
I'm convinced this is an urban myth with no truth ( or at least no damaged speakers ).
For those still not convinced - use latex.

Years ago I built a D'Appolito thing called Swan Four (Wonderful)and used silicone caulk to seat the speakers....BIG MISTAKE...When one of the large speakers failed removal was very difficult...some of the speaker box came out with the speaker. Since then I've only used auto gasket paper..

some of the speaker box came out with the speaker.

Use as an adhesive, Silicone is strong. I have made layered panels of plywood help together with silicone. It will de-lam if pulled apart. It is stronger than the adhesive used in OSB or particle board.
I wouldn't glue drivers into a cab with it, because of this.
I bolt/screw down drivers and then use the smallest amount of sealant necessary to run a very thin fillet/bead around the outside metal edge of the basket/wood junction.

I don't have to remove drivers often but so far I have had no problem when I use silicone sparingly as a sealant. The thin fillet is easily scored with a utility knife.

I have also used Cordite to seat the driver, ( for visible drivers ).
In that case I use an amply amount and trim away the visible excess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.