Can Silicon Caulk damage speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2009, 06:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can Silicon Caulk damage speakers?

I read that it can, but a professional speaker installation guy told me otherwise. I want to install some little 3 inch speakers in a box, but they don't have screw holes. I need them to be removable. He told me that I could use caulk on the lip of the speakers. Is this true?
Old 18th January 2009, 07:13 PM   #2
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

As long as the silicone caulk you are using does not have a specific warning against use with metal.
I started using Silicone RTV on avionics in the 70's and have used it with out problems on speakers since.
Vance Dickason uses it in the LDC.
Silicone is a big chemical group. I've have been using Pittsburgh Corning Glass block sealer for a while now. Dow RTV works.
Old 18th January 2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

my 1st DIY speakers I built 10+ years ago, I used silicone caulk for exactly the same reason... and those are still playing today, so I woudn't worry, just don't get it on any moving bits

but today i prefer Acrylic latex caulk, for it is easier to handle, doesn't smell, and remains flexible forever
Old 18th January 2009, 07:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

you can try an acrylic sealant. It does not contain vinegar acid, like many silicones do and is cheaper than silicone too!
regards
Old 19th January 2009, 12:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

If you ever blow those speakers, and need to replace them, you may damage the box trying to get them out
Old 19th January 2009, 12:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

don't scare me!
I have used some of the acrylic in the past.
regards
Old 19th January 2009, 01:13 AM   #8
WayneW is offline WayneW  United States
diyAudio Member

When Silicon dries, the gas is what can damage the surround material on speakers. Best to use a latex caulk!
Old 19th January 2009, 01:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well I found some acrylic latex silicon caulk. That's what the tube says. Very little smell. Can I pry the speakers out of it once the stuff dries?

I'd like to experiment with different amounts of dampening. I'm not using polyfil, but something similar. It's actually a big sheet of aquarium filter that I snagged from work.

Anyways I might need to add more or take some out.
Old 19th January 2009, 03:05 AM   #10
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

I have yet to find anyone who actually had speaker damage from silicone, it's always anecdotal - a friend, or I heard...
I ( and others ) have put silicone on virtually every part ( on countless speakers ) with no ill effect.
There is no acetic acid in it, it is a site reaction; The amount formed when curing is minuscule. Somewhere I have a research paper on silicone curing detailing.
I'm convinced this is an urban myth with no truth ( or at least no damaged speakers ).
For those still not convinced - use latex.

Hide this!Advertise here!