Hp Aurum Cantus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'am a french diyer, and i would like to know if someone know the Aurum Cantus drivers, especially the new ligne 50CK and 50C2C.

This HP are thery difficult to find in France (and in europe), but they were wellknow in the USA, in China and Australia.

This is the website: http://www.aurumcantus.com

I'am interesting by the AC 130/CK, in d'apoliito with fountek neoCD2.

Thank you

Georges

I would strongly advise against AC unit (look at the freq graph-wild!).
I would suggest you these instead:

Tangband W5 1685

test

"This is a paper cone driver with a monsterous underhung motor design and very low harmonic distortion in the midrange and low treble. Merely average HD in the bass and midbass. The response curve is smooth and controllable with a mild breakup at 8kHz that may need to be addressed depending on your crossover point. The driver can generally cross over as high you you need it to. This is a value and performance leader in this price range."

Mmm, a bit too much speculation and no practical experience with the driver - to be taken with a large grain of salt.

I have used the Aurum Cantus AC130 MKII and also have a pair of the new AC130/50CK. The AC130 MKII is an excellent driver, but it has the typical carbon fibre breakup of two nasty peaks at around 5.5kHz and 7.5kHz, so is difficult to crossover. The new AC130/50CK is a lot better with the breakup higher in frequency and much reduced in magnitude. It has a bigger Xmax so will go louder with less distortion. I have not designed a speaker with the new driver, but have listened to it in the same box as the older driver (with a few mods). It sounds very similar to the older driver, but I think it is an improvement, so is also excellent. Recommended. Do not take much notice of the published frequency response measurements from the manufacturer. What I measured does not look anything like the published graphs. From memory, the new dirver is close to ruler flat out to 7kHz. I can't remember the breakup peaks, but they were well down so would not be a problem. Excellent driver to mate with a ribbon tweeter, which is what I intend to do when I get the time.

Thery good mandoman !

I had a question, the AC 130 MK2 or the 130 50/CK one, and finally I have buy the 130/50CK one, and fountek ribber tweeter (neoCD2). The woofer will be Eton 11".
In a few months (when the loudspeakers will be finished), I can tell you the results.

Fiscal

mandoman said:
Mmm, a bit too much speculation and no practical experience with the driver - to be taken with a large grain of salt.

I have used the Aurum Cantus AC130 MKII and also have a pair of the new AC130/50CK. The AC130 MKII is an excellent driver, but it has the typical carbon fibre breakup of two nasty peaks at around 5.5kHz and 7.5kHz, so is difficult to crossover. The new AC130/50CK is a lot better with the breakup higher in frequency and much reduced in magnitude. It has a bigger Xmax so will go louder with less distortion. I have not designed a speaker with the new driver, but have listened to it in the same box as the older driver (with a few mods). It sounds very similar to the older driver, but I think it is an mprovement, so is also excellent. Recommended. Do not take much notice of the published frequency response measurements from the manufacturer. What I measured does not look anything like the published graphs. From memory, the new dirver is close to ruler flat out to 7kHz. I can't remember the breakup peaks, but they were well down so would not be a problem. Excellent driver to mate with a ribbon tweeter, which is what I intend to do when I get the time.

I have used the Aurum Cantus AC130 MKII and it has the same cone material as the new AC130/50CK, albeit with a different profile. The old one has strong breakup modes at 5, 6.5, 8 and 9.5 kHz, which requires steep filters (a very bad thing) to tame. Someone came with an all AC equipped Avaclone loudspeaker to me, after it was unsuccessfully tweaked by a local magician.
The original crossover had a 7db peak centered at 2 kHz. I had no other option but to use a 18db per octave lowpass slope on the midrange, after which dynamics were killed. The new AC130/50CK has even worse response: there seems to be a large peak at 1.5 kHz and with the main breakup even lower (4 kHz) not higher, than the old one, check the original specs, they are too smoothed, though. I tried to give a good advice, but was unfortunately unsuccessful...

click twice consecutively to zoom:

my.php

my.php

look for the brown Avaclone :
Loudspeakers From Abyss

OK, unfortunately I don't seem to have saved my measurements of the AC130/50CK, so am relying on memory, so maybe I should shut up. It was a quick test to see how they compared with the older driver, so I must have forgotten to save it, dammit. I did these measurements about 2 years ago, but what you say does not seem to fit in with what I remember. I must find the time to re-measure and confirm, but that is a bit difficult to do at the moment.

However I do have a printout of the older driver and unsmoothed there are 2 large breakup peaks at around 5.3kHz, 7.5kHz. These are nearly 20db in height, so need to be dealt with in the crossover. There is also a smaller breakup peak at around 8.7kHz. Different, but similar to what you have. I remember I spent many, many hours battling with the crossover, it was hell, but with the Northcreek D28 tweeter they turned into one very fine sounding pair of speakers. I still maintain that treated properly these are excellent sounding drivers. Can't comment on the Tangband, they are very difficult to get here in Australia. Would love to try a pair, but the transport costs are killing.

I do agree that Aurum Cantus' published frequency response measurements are next to useless.

Well should have shut up. Finally got out the measuring gear and tested the new AC woofer again. I think something in my measuring path must of been clipping the last time I tested them, so mea culpa I stuffed up. There is a dip in the response at around 2.3Khz of about 6db and a small peak at 4Khz, and a big breakup mode at 15Khz. Reasonably flat to 2Khz. The 15Khz mode is not much of a problem, but the dip and peak at 4Khz certainly is. I like the sound of the Aurum Cantus, but they are crossover hell.

That`s why I recommended Tangband W5 1685 in the first place; they`re crossover "heaven", well almost. Because of the underhung voice coil design and optimized "good old" paper cone, they are easy to work with and especially to listen to. Higher order crossovers always suck life out of the loudspeakers, even though they are "challenging" to struggle with - or to check our command of speaker building. When stiff "high tech" cones came out years ago, I wanted to use them immediately, because they said, in stiffer cones sound travels faster than in the old fashioned, soft paper cones. Well, what does all that mean for music reproduction? Just a bunch of problems and unnatural sound, IMHO.
After some twenty years of experimenting with almost everything, I came to conclusion various paper mixes are still the best for cones and
for the music;)

P.S.: hey mandoman, does your nickname stand for mandolin man, bluegrass perhaps?

Funny you should say that, I am looking at some paper drivers right now. Tangband is not on the list, unfortunately. Tangband might be fine for you, but I can't get them locally, and the transport costs are killing, especially for anything that is the slightest bit heavy. PE is a major pain to deal with, they don't seem to want to deal with anyone not in the USA. I tried once, but never again. Anyway, the AC woofer is back on the shelf probably never to surface again. I don't know what to do with it.

The nickname comes from the fact I make mandolins.

No I have not. Both are incredible musicians so must be something special. I met Mike while in the USA in 1999, and we swapped mandolins. I got to play his Loar and he played one of mine. Mine sounded great when he played the Choro tunes on it. Seemed to suit Choro better the Loar. Certainly sounded a lot better than when I played it! Was quite a thrill. I got to play 2 Loars while in the USA, one of which I photographed. I've also met Mike Compton a couple of times, and it is fantastic when such a famous musician recognises you and shakes you by the hand, mainly because of the mandolins I make.

Lucky you, In my teenage years I played the fivestring banjo (hence my nickname), had some correspondence with my musical heroes like Pat Cloud, Larry McNeely and Tony Trischka. Years later I had the privilege to organize the concert for Tony Trischka here in Slovenia and found he `s a great person as well. Also met Bela Fleck while he was here with the Flecktones, talked to him for more than hour and discovered he`s a great person too. My favourite musicians seem to be down to earth friendly people - respect!

My son`s site (plays many types of guitars):

http://www.timikrajnc.we.bs/

Best regards,
Miro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.