a sinergy horn for domestic use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all

i think a floorstander sinergy horn with nice cabinetry for domestic use would be very nice. Here a rendering and design idea :

32.jpg

Danleydesignstudy.jpg

Angelo

The vertical dispersion of around 90 degrees would make for floor and ceiling reflections, which is antithetical to the design.

The horizontal dispersion appears to be less than 45 degrees, which doesn’t look wide enough to cover the two chairs.

Looks cute, if you like looking at horns. I prefer grilles.

Eva! You got that one exactly right.

Those speakers should be turned on their side to work at all correctly, but there isn't really enough of a horn there to do much control anyways. Horns can't be that wide and work properly and they need to be longer and narrower to get any directional control. Looks nice, sure, but looks arn't everything and in loudspeakers good looks tend to be contrary to good sound.

hi Earl, Eva

thanks for your opinion. I have done two things in the following design :

incorporated a reduced size Danley tapped horn DTS20 sub, in the back part of the cabinet, to cover below 50hz. It would be driven active with a 8" woofer. Increased the length front horn ( 24" ) , to get better directional control. Horizontally, it would have 45 degree aperture, and vertically 80 degree. Certainly , if i would do the oposit ( 80 degree vertical, 45 degree horizontal ), would be better, like used for radial horns, but one main goal is to make a floor stander , not larger than it is now, around 25".

Danleysub7.jpg

Angelo

more 3D images at my forum :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1861#post1861

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Very interesting, and different

But driver mounting seems difficult, if not impossible
I would split it up in seperate modules

Im no expert, but the tapped line seems a bit short
And I think the woofer should be much closer to the mouth
Mounting at the bottom would probably be better

Other difficulties could be that the synergy mounted midwoofers playing through small holes wont go low enough to reach down to the tapped woofer...a tapped horn is useless above 100hz

Further, its supposed to be THE top end speaker, I guess :D
Supposedly there should be clearly audible advanteges with double woofers, push-pull mounted, but its a bit tricky construction
Take a look at collaborative tapped horn thread

hancock

autocad+ 3dsmax+ photoshop is used to make the 3D images.

tinitus

i have not thought yet about how to mount the speakers.
As tapped horn, i have just scaled down the DTS20 sub.
I wonder beside less headroom, if sound would be different, if just used one woofer, instead of two, and only 2 midrange drivers , instead of 4. The SH50 sinergy horn, which uses 2 x 12" woofers with 2 x 5cm diameter holes , goes down to 50hz. I wonder : why are these holes so tiny ? just so that no diffraction occurs with the waves coming from the compression driver ? I have read the tapped horn white paper, but to be frank, i don't understand the principle completely. As far as i catched, the front and back waves must be in phase, and to do so, the horn must have a certain length. So i don't know, it it would work, just taking the design of the DTS20, and scale it down.

Angelo

TappedHorn-1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.