Pls. help - Realistic Minimus 7 Crossover Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I'm new to DIYAudio....but since I've seen a lot posted here about the Minimus 7's I thought this would be the best place to come for help.

Basically, I picked up a pair of the silver/aluminium one's a few weeks back at a local thrift store and I was so extremely over-zealous in modding it (right away) that I took it all apart without either first listening to them, or taking out digital pictures of the "before" image (like I always do, before any of my mod's).

So anyways, I've replaced the cheap spring clip connectors with better binding posts, and now when I'm trying to replace the 4.7uF capacitors with similar value ones that I purchased locally, I do not remember how/where to connect the two leads of the capacitor. To make matters worse, the new capacitor that I've purchased seems to indicate that it's bi-polar, yet there is one lead that is shorter than the other...so that's confusing me big-time as well (not sure whether one lead is positive and the other negative....or whether it does not matter, since the package says that it's bi-polar)

I searched this forum (and googled the entire WWW) but couldn't find very good pictures of the orginal crossover for these speakers, but the following URL does provide a schematic...but I'm not sure how to interpret it...and maybe it's a bit incorrect - I've attached what I think may be the correct version of the schematic) :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-107075.html

Also attached are two pics of the crossover (one pic with the old capacitor still soldered to the terminal strip....but I'm not sure to where the removed lead should be connected i.e. positive/red terminla or negative/black terminal), and the other pic with the new capacitor in place - or at least how I think it should be connected...note, not soldered yet since I'm waiting for confirmation (from you very knowledgeable folks) of whether or not my interpretation is correct or not).

Another thing I need to know is whether or not it's important to glue down everything i.e. wires, capacitor etc. to the plastic/wood portion, and if yes, then what is the reason for that ?

Thanks for now,

CR

Hi,

There is another thread on the Minimus 7's but the schematics
seem wrong and the poster oblivious to the apparent faults.

For a simple crossover the capacitor goes in series with the
tweeter, it does not matter where but typically the capacitor
is connected between + and the driver.
For the basic model the capacitor is followed by an inductor
wired across the tweeter, the bass unit runs unfiltered.

:)/sreten.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sreten said:
There is another thread on the Minimus 7's but the schematics
seem wrong and the poster oblivious to the apparent faults.

This one?

attachment.php

dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Another thing I need to know is whether or not it's important to glue down everything i.e. wires, capacitor etc. to the plastic/wood portion, and if yes, then what is the reason for that ?

As I understand it capacitors are microphonic, if they vibrate they change their characteristics, glue them down to stop them vibrating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.