FR125S suitable for home theater? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2009, 03:39 PM   #11
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

See if I can help you out a little.
The idea to use the FR125S driver for fullrange HT system is a good idea as long as you can live with the limitations of the driver.

Off axis the driver drops very quickly. And for HT imaging this can be a issue for some people all depends on you set up.If you have a small room and the speakers located as direct as possible to the listeners position you could be OK, all depends on your expectations of high frequency off axis.

Last power handling.
The lower you tune the FR125S,WR125S and WR125ST (Daves design with the tweeter uses the 16ohmWR125ST drivers) thelower power handling you have. Now for some like Dave HT is in small wattage Now for myself and a lot of designs I have done are on the other end of the scale.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here was my room at CES with Bob from CSS and Dan Wiggins from Adire. I had the HT8 and the FR125S in our room.

Now back to the topic of the FR125S for HT use.

Small is better if you are porting them, tune them up at 95hz or higher again all depends on your expectations of power handling.

Personally I would use a tweeter and bring it into the FR125S at 5-7k. WHY its a full range driver you ask!!!!!
Well measurments say it all and with off axis of the FR125S and WR125S measure both the same. Both drivers have no output above 7k at 30degrees off axis let alone 45degrees off axis. The driver has no out put at all, falling response cut off at 5-7k.

If you can point the drivers directly at your ear this may be ok for you with no tweeter added

Hide this!Advertise here!