Loudspeaker construction vs sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just wonder - what are the best materials and constructions that make sound of loudspeaker more narural. What are your preferences (and why).

Woofer:
A) cone
1) paper *
2) polipropylen
3) glass fibre
4) carbon fibre
5) kevlar

B) coil
1) aluminium
2) copper *
3) other

C) suspension
1) gum *
2) textile

Midrange same posibilities as woofer

Tweeter:
A) cone
1) paper
2) polipropylen
3) silk *
4) carbon fibre cone

I marked with asterisk my preferences but I might be wrong. I've never heared about glass fibre and carbon fibre cons before
:dead:

I'm afraid.......

... its not that simple...

(disclaimer ...VERY general answer)

Every driver has different characteristics which can be useful in different circumstances. Paper woofers are usually fairly detailed with a smoothish rolloff, and cope well with 1st or 2nd order x-o
Poly's sometimes lack a bit of detail but can generally cope with 1st order x-os.. The harder cone types generally have harsh breakup points, but are more detailed, hence are good drivers with steeper slopes. in other words, different driver materials have different properties, and can be used in different situations.

Surrounds: rubber surrounds generally give better linearity, but less sensitivity and protection, read HiFi speakers.
Rolled cloth surrounds are usually linked with concentric ribs on the cone, this is designed to protect the cone from over excursion and damage (the cone can actually flex), this introduces non-linearities, but usually provides higher sensitivity ; read PA drivers !!

The tweets, again each type has its pluses and minuses, my preference being textile (silk) or metal dome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.