Small 8" HElP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can any one help me with building a box with these paramiters. They are 8" im thinking about buying 3 more and useing 2 per box. But for now i would like to have a ported box NOT sealed. i have it in a box now but is not the recomended one. can any one help me get the right size ported..

www.bumperspeakers.com

Serie X
Model 848 X
Diameter size in inches 8
Diameter size in centimeters 20.32
Z - Nominal Impedance in Ohms 4
Fs = Free air resonance frequesncy in Hz 62.5
Qts = Total Q Factor of driver 0.48
Vas = Equivalent acoustic volume in cubic feet 0.3
Vas = Equivalent acoustic volume in liters 8.46
Xmax = peak linear displacement of cone in inches 0.17
Xmax = peak linear displacement of cone in mm 4.32
Pe = Max power in watts 350
Ref = Driver's SPL 1W at 1m in dB 88.5
SPL = The half-space ref Efficiency 88.3
Voice Coil Diameter in inches 2
Mounting Depth in inches 3.5
Sd = Piston Area in sq m 0.018
BL = T*M Flux Density, Length Product 10.61
no = The half-space ref effciency 0.0001
Cms = Mechanical suspen Compliance 176.482
Mms = Mech mass of cone & free air load 36.707
Qms = Mechanical Q factor of driver 7.225
Qes = Electrical Q factor of driver 0.4609
Revc = DC Voice coil resistance in Ohms 3.6
Zmax = imped At top of resonance curve in Ohms 60.03
Fo = Free air resonance frequency in Hz 62.5
Magnet weight (oz) 48
Magnet weight (kg) 1.6879
Frequency response range tested from 20-2000 Hz 20-6200

Attachments

• dscf0023.jpg
    dscf0023.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 319

Bumper loudspeaker drivers are fairly good,they look very simular [materials and construction] to ZEUZ pa speakers and also look like Eminence speakers.

Bumper's best driver is a 700w rms 18 inch,which looks very well built,but the website does not say about what voice coil former they use or the x mech of the moving parts.
Voice coil formers[bobbins] are either paper,composition[ paper and aluminium],aluminium,kapton,normex ,fibreglass.
With Kapton being the most common for high power loudspeakers,but Normex is the best because it can stand 800 o C continous,where as Kapton can stand 350 0 c continous.

Jason L,the Bumper driver you choose is good and bad.
Good: 48 0z magnet for an 8 inch,175 w rms,stamped steel frame,
BL 10.60,2 inch voice coil diameter,frequency range 60hz-6khz,good 4.32 x max,vented pole piece.
Bad: low sensitivity for a pa driver 88.5 db SPL 1w at 1m, no indication of the x mech[maximum cone excersion],not very good quality cone or surround,no indication of what voice coil former was used.
This driver is not suitable for a subwoofer,but it's ok for bass and bass-mid.Being 88.5db average i'd only use it for hifi,for car or pa you need something more sensitive.[The more sensitive the speaker,the louder it sounds at the given volume].

If your going to buy more Bumper drivers,I think it's better to get the Eminence Beta 8 instead,doesn't cost that much more than the bumper driver,the Eminence driver is a much better driver than the Bumper driver.Eminence Beta 8 costs £40 inc vat each

Here are the specs: Eminence Beta 8a

Kapton coil former
polyamide-imide coated copper voice coil
APS ferrite magnet
pressed steel chassis
paper cone
plasticised cloth [linen] cone edge
solid compostion paper dust dome

8 inch diameter
8 0hm
225 w rms
55hz-4khz
resonance 58hz
average sensitivity 1w at 1m 97 db
magnet weight 38 oz
2 inch voice coil
vented pole piece
31 gauge copper wire
vd [peak diaphragm displacement volume] 65cc
EBP[ Efficiency Bandwidth Product] 163
X MAX 3.0mm
X MECH 15mm [Double this for maximum excersion before cone damage,so maximum excersion for this driver is 30mm or 3 cm].
BL Product 9.4 T-M

This driver is suitable for midrange between 400hz-4 khz,vocal pa,keyboards,discos,stage monitors,club systems,and bass guitar.

lets get this straight.
you got a box. you got a driver. you dont liek the sound of the combination. you can change box or driver or both.

1. if you got drivers change box if yo have both then you dont have much choice unless you are willing to discard wither box or driver. usually i cant discard driver so i rebuild box. in your case it might be cheaper to find driver that will work in the small box you got.

2. if you want to build a new box why not build a really nice box. the more i hear TLs the more i like them. I have built proted, sealed and aperiodic boxes. sealed is easy with your driver it will work fine expect the F3 will be kinda high.

Regards
Navin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.