Taking a "bite" out of a tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2003, 01:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Taking a "bite" out of a tweeter

Has anyone over removed part of the faceplate of a tweeter in order get it closer to the woofer or just to save room on a baffle? Anyone know anything, ideas, opinions? All are appreciated.
-andy
Old 10th April 2003, 01:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

how can i put an autocad drawing up here?
Old 10th April 2003, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bostarob
how can i put an autocad drawing up here?
Autocad can save drawings in gif format, or just do a screen capture and post the result.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 10th April 2003, 02:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default bite

Yes- both the Alu and plastic frames are easy enough to work with. I masking-taped a bottle cap over the dome before I started this "hackey" work. There is some queston which tools to use-- got very large holesaws?
Old 10th April 2003, 02:12 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've done this more times than I care to remember with plastic framed tweeters. Colwaiting's suggestion of masking tape is vital; I learned this the hard way with a D-28. I've used, variously, a coping saw, a bandsaw, a jig saw, and a hacksaw.
Old 10th April 2003, 02:35 AM   #6
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

now why on earth would you want to do that? some misguided notion of time alignement perhaps and if you do, have you anyway of quantifying the result rather than just using your ears? may I suggest an alternative? cut a hole in the baffle and mount the tweeter on a separately mountedpeice of timber or something suitable behind it surround the opening with thick felt so you dont have any reflections off the hole edge. make the felt at least .5" thick! also bear in mind the tweeter was designed with the face plate so by removing it you may be introducing some undesirable response anomalies the only other thing I can suggest is to check out the AUDAX website I had a pair of neodium tweeters made by them which is part of their range all it is is just the dome and magnet assembly with the terminals on the back I forget the part # but it should be there, I just sold mine on ebay, I HAD good success mounting it from thr rear of the baffle firing through a hole not much bigger than the dome itself the hole was radioused all around to offer a short horn like flair to correctly load the dome from about 1.5 k through to about 10kHz where it drooped according to audax's response curve by doing this the response flattened down nicely, much better than the others audax make with integral face plate i had the curve till a short while ago but passed it on to a fellow speaker manufacturer to use in some future model
REGARDS TO ALL, TJB
Old 10th April 2003, 02:41 AM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
now why on earth would you want to do that? some misguided notion of time alignement perhaps
More likely, a well-guided notion of controlling vertical polar pattern.

BTW, Andy, congrats on the Retrievers' chess team! Ruff, ruff!
Old 10th April 2003, 06:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yes, we surely aren't known for our crazy parties.
Ohh wait, we don't have crazy parties. Ok.
Back to spanish, post later

Ohh, i need a little more detail about how to get an autocad file to be a gif file, and what is a screen shot?
thanks all,
-andy
Old 11th April 2003, 02:27 AM   #9
Ilianh is offline Ilianh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ilianh
Print screen tutorial in 6 easy steps.

1. Theres a button called "print screen" on your keyboard.

2. Press it, open MS Paint, and press ctrl-v.

3. Then if it asks to make the bitmap larger, click yes.

4. Crop the relevant part of the whole picture.

5. And then click on File > save as.

6. Select jpeg or gif.
Old 11th April 2003, 06:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thanks for the direction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the real deal.jpg (33.8 KB, 288 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!