Suggestion of a Midrange drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need help choosing a midrange driver for my speaker building project of 2009. Any suggestion of a good midrange. ScanSpeak, Accuton, Eton, Dynaudio, etc

Right now, I have these speaker drivers in 8ohms.

pair Dyaudio T330D
pair ScanSpeak 18W/8531G00 mid-woofer
four ScanSpeak 22W/8857 woofers

I recommend the Tang band 3" titanium driver. True, the manufacturer is not in the same league as Scanspeak, but they are really great drivers. Detailed but not harsh.

FWIW, I have Scanspeak 15W revelators in my home theater setup. There is a reason they are in the home theater rather than in my stereo setup.

JJ

Care to give us that reason in more detail?

I listen to a lot of female vocalists. When I am seriously listening, (with my eyes closed and nice glass of wine in my hand) singers like Souxsie Sioux do not sound quite right on larger midranges or two-way speakers. If I am even slightly distracted, like when watching a movie, I never notice the imperfections.

JJ

jupiterjune,

Are your 15W's raw paper or treated? A friend treated his 18W's and found them to be a better, more refined listen.

FWIW I have 18W's [raw] in my mains and even the CSS FR125 is nicer with female vocals than the 18W, which I find to be somewhat nasally.

bng said:
I need help choosing a midrange driver for my speaker building project of 2009. Any suggestion of a good midrange. ScanSpeak, Accuton, Eton, Dynaudio, etc

Right now, I have these speaker drivers in 8ohms.

pair Dyaudio T330D
pair ScanSpeak 18W/8531G00 mid-woofer
four ScanSpeak 22W/8857 woofers

Wel its really depends on what you want from midrange and what you have I mind meaning midrange(to my mind midrange is- small driver or bigger 5-7inch driver with short voice coil and low xmax. )

1) I have bad opinion on dynaudio midranges(except esotar dome)
2) Audiotechnology midranges especially bigger (5inch) are very lively sounding midrange
3) Accuton midranges are very detailed but not harsh sounding(Audiotechnology is more harsh and screamy)
4) Scan speak 15m is pretty lively and pretty smooth sounding midrange but have some timbre inaccuracy which can be easy recognized.
Scan speak 15w is more smoother and silky sounding driver, but still its “dry” lower midrange sounding driver

I have esotars and they does wonderfully with 1st order they gets good mach with audiotechnology drivers-sound is dynamic and coherent.

Hope this helps

Are your 15W's raw paper or treated? A friend treated his 18W's and found them to be a better, more refined listen.

FWIW I have 18W's [raw] in my mains and even the CSS FR125 is nicer with female vocals than the 18W, which I find to be somewhat nasally.

lazyfly

Yes, they are treated. They are the 15W 8530's. I suspect the cone is just too large to remain completely pistonic up to 3Khz. The cone is slitted, and the slits are glued back together to break up resonances. This keeps the audible effects due to cone breakup to a minimum, but it is still not the same as remaining completely pistonic.

I think nasally is a good way to describe it.

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.