Philoctetes: Why Audio Quality Matters - very interesting video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, but it really doesn't matter, most people enjoy music regardless of sound quality. Sure, it matters to those that enjoy the hobby but our hobby matters no more than any other one.

Does walleye fishing matter, or model electric trains? To those that enjoy them yes, to others no.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The salient point of that open ended discussion was that quality brings people closer to music.

Audio quality will always matter to everyone. There isn't a soul alive that wouldn't answer "Higher" To the question of "Do you prefer lower quality or higher quality audio?" Which is much like the question "Would you prefer to see this band live or watch their concert DVD"

There isn't a soul alive that wouldn't answer "Higher" To the question of "Do you prefer lower quality or higher quality audio?"

Not true from my experience when it comes to "pro" musicians. A few listen to their music via DVD on the TV speakers, the others have equipment from mass market companies like jvc or sony - the cheapo lines.
They just don't give a hoot about the quality of their equipment.

Your'e presuming to speak for folks you have no clue about.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
audio-kraut said:
Your'e presuming to speak for folks you have no clue about.

I didn't say that so your misinterpreting.

I said if you asked someone what would they prefer, listen to low quality or listen to high quality then they would say high. This is something entirely different to what your talking about.

People want quality but whether they strive for it is something else.

People want quality but whether they strive for it is something else.

I said clearly, people that I know and are musicians - both from the rock and classical genre - just don't give a hoot about the quality of the equipment, they are satisfied to hear music on low budget equipment. And I mean satisified, without any hint of even wanting higher quality.

Clearer yet?

And again: in your voice:

Audio quality will always matter to everyone

You clearly said in one sentence: audio, quality, matter to EVERYONE.
So, where did I misinterpreted you? You made a sweeping statement, that like all sweeping statements, is just so much nonsense.
Your bad, not mine.
Stop trying to cut such a wide swath.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by audio-kraut Your bad... Stop trying to cut such a wide swath.

Your right. Looking at is more closely what I did was consider the opinion of people I know and then extrapolated that over the music loving population of the world. They're a pretty diverse bunch so it made sense at the time. My mistake was forgetting there's always someone out there looking to police your words and give you a hard time about it.

Happy new year. :)

ShinOBIWAN said:

Audio quality will always matter to everyone. There isn't a soul alive that wouldn't answer "Higher" To the question of "Do you prefer lower quality or higher quality audio?"

Yes, there are such souls, my kids for instance. All have been offered my extra hi-fi gear and declined it and continue to listen to music on ipod docking stations and such. And that's that.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tom Brennan said:

Yes, there are such souls, my kids for instance. All have been offered my extra hi-fi gear and declined it and continue to listen to music on ipod docking stations and such. And that's that.

Its obvious that your kit isn't deemed convenient or cool enough for your kids. But if you said you can have an ipod that produces higher quality sound then what would the answer be?

ShinOBIWAN said:

Its obvious that your kit isn't deemed convenient or cool enough for your kids. But if you said you can have an ipod that produces higher quality sound then what would the answer be?

and what age?? My kids (eldest 17 now) still assure me that they cannot tell the difference between my system and their cheap bedroom rubbish (not true! not true I cry!!)

Unfortunately I don't feel it will change...she turns up in the car, radio blaring (read distorting so much I cringe from twenty feet away) and all she says is 'I don't care' or 'I can't tell' (can't remember which)

sad is my initial reaction, but then again, is it really?

ShinOBIWAN said:

If pigs had wings......the fact is they were exposed to hi-fi sound yet have no interest in it though they've great interest in music. That's aces with me.

So how's the walleye fishin' over there? ;)

This discussion is funny. It may however have a strong connection to the type and quality of production that many people listen to. Your average top 40 record is recorded so poorly with no dynamics that it doesn't matter nearly as much, how high quality their speakers are in some cases good speakers make the music unlistenable. see stop the loudness war

Anyway people can tell the difference if they take the time to sit down and just listen and if the music they are listening to was recorded with any effort to achieve fidelity.

Big family Xmas dinner at my sister's place. My Brother in law had transferred all his music to MP3 including all the seasonal music and was playing it through his bummy system.

He said it was a great disappointment because the music now "sounded dead." (Which it did).

He's not really a music lover - as in fan- but he got the idea right away.

I suspect this kind of experience will become more common and possibly is already more common than we might imagine. I have no way of proving it.

On the other hand, this site is not losing participants, is it?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I watched the video a couple of days ago. It's long, but very interesting. And worthy of discussion.

The basic idea is a round table discussion of the importance of "Deep Listening" and high quality audio playback. The subject wanders a bit, because the panelist are 3:2 music industry vs. audiophile.

On the panel are:
  • Greg Calbi (mastering engineer)
  • Steve Berkowitz, Senior Vice President of Sony Music's Legacy Records
  • Evan Cornog - Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University
  • Kevin Killen - recording engineer
  • Craig Street - record producer
  • Michael Fremer - writer for many audio publications.

The basic premise is that "Deep Listening" I.E. sitting down and listening to the music, giving it your full attention is important. And with a good audio system it can be transcendent.

Of all of these, only Berkowitz seems to say that the quality of the system isn't that important to him. Though he does seem to enjoy it. Calbi says that some of the greatest audio experiences he has had were listening to Fremer's system.

Lots of good stories, too. The tales of remastering were very interesting to me. What, in fact, IS the master?

So even if you can't watch it all the way thru in one sitting, it's still worth your time.

(A-K -- Dude! Have a drink, take a chill-pill. It's a new year! 2009) :cheers:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Happy new year Pano and all!

Interesting how a society in America named after a foot wounded guy dramatized by another guy who used to live in my neck of woods in the old times is discussing our hobby essence today.

Both things are true. Music can be enjoyed either without quality reproduction or with it. Music makers listen to it in their heads as it should really be sounding anyway, because they have knowledge of the genuine article. The quality of reproduction is a typical thing to most of them. Just a trigger. But they do care very much about the quality of their musical instruments!
Just listeners like most of us, can be educated in much more quality reproduction and listening concentration in order to feel part of that archetypal creation as much as possible.
I have met people who do both musical creation and concentrated listening. Minority they are. Mainly conductors, composers, piano players. Always with a very good general education level. They know to appreciate things in all facets of life. That is their common denominator.

salas said:
I have met people who do both musical creation and concentrated listening. Minority they are. Mainly conductors, composers, piano players. Always with a very good general education level. They know to appreciate things in all facets of life. That is their common denominator.

I know a few and I'm such myself. Play several instruments and write/record my material and I'm also a picky audiophile. I do enjoy music on lesser (within limits) set ups but the kicks I get on a low distortion rig is something else! Build most of my playback gear myself.

I'll watch that video to see what it's about.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.