Compression ratio and diaphragm size in compression drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I decided to use my RCF titanium diaphragm from 400-4000hz, can I match it with, lets say, the GPA 399 from 400hz even if the GPA has a diaphragm made of another material(aluminium)?
If possible to mix in these way diaphragm materials without big noticeable effects in sound? or I will I have a big difference in the sound coming from the aluminium and the titanium one?
Anyway I imagine Titanium will sound more similar to Aluminium than to Mylar or Phenolic, is it right to assume that?

Alan

tinitus said:
I would say it depends on the individual drivers and how you do it
I dont think you make such things general, though I do know a lot of people think materials should be similar

I would be more concerned to match the waveguides carefully

it sounds logic to use the same materials.
I will use an exponential horn from 400 to 4000hz and a tactrix horn from 4000hz and up.

It's my understanding that they sound/perform the same, only the Pascalite can handle a lot more power, which isn't needed in a typical HIFI/HT app. Can't recall ever using/auditioning it though, so just going by what others have said. I always used alum. for HIFI and when they began offering the ultra-light version I switched over to it. For high power, I used the Symbiotik to only 5 kHz since it sounded like ripping sheet metal higher up (except for them dying around 12 kHz) and alum. loaded DIY super tweeter for the top octave.

GM

Does anybody know something about this dipole tweeter called Gemini
that comes with the bastani prometheus?

http://www.bastanis.com/product_inf...d=156&osCsid=9e8b91517b7de5cc34d97aa3c4562b47

Acordding to Robert Bastanis is 104db sensitivity 16ohm. And in his speakers goes is at 12khz. In the 6 moons review the tweeter received really great feedback as one of the best. It has a phenolic diaphragm specially treated by Mr, Bastanis.

Alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.