Which Scanspeak is best? aluminum or paper cone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used Kevlar and paper cone Scanspeak drivers. But I notice that Scan also has aluminum mid-woof drivers for some sizes.

Does anyone have any sense that maybe the aluminum sounds better than the hard paper cones?

Or have any THD measurements to suggest that one cone material under 500hz or so is better than another?

I'm debating getting a sample aluminum driver to see if its a step up from the paper cone revelator.

subjective analisys here but in bass guitar amplification applications aluminum speaker cones have been noted to have much brighter sound mid bass and low bass with a much tighter sound.

I would imagine that seeing this form of construction being used in various car aduio subwoofer for high excursion high spl applications that there is some truth in the stiffness of the cone as being higher.

I like my GK goldline speakers from Gallien Kruger they sound excelent but I have never used them in a reporduction enviroment so I have no idea how they would behave. Aluminum sound devices can have harsh chareteristics if not properly dampened from my experiences.

Daveis said:
I've used Kevlar and paper cone Scanspeak drivers. But I notice that Scan also has aluminum mid-woof drivers for some sizes.

Does anyone have any sense that maybe the aluminum sounds better than the hard paper cones?

Or have any THD measurements to suggest that one cone material under 500hz or so is better than another?

I'm debating getting a sample aluminum driver to see if its a step up from the paper cone revelator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.