Proac E.b.s. Mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default Proac E.b.s. Mods

Well, I got a pair of such and old speakers and I would like to know if any thread is opened with info about them. The pair I got owns ScanSpeak D-2008 tweeters, ATC SM75-150 mids and ATC SB75-234 woofers. No mod has been done on them, so I think it's time to try something new and better.

Regards,
Jgtx.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 02:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol
Hi,

I also have a pair of ProAc EBS from around about 1988. Taking the ATC mids for repair at ATC tomorrow (good job its near my house!). Did you find any mods for your EBS? I was thinking of going active crossovers. Think my speakers my have been modded already as have a ProAc branded D2010 tweeter installed - looks like all the caps in the crossover were changed to SCR 5% 400v polyprops. Curious to know if the crossover should have been modified from changing the D2008 to D2010? These are great speakers - a poor mans ATC SCM 50.

Cheers,

Nathan
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 06:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
I also have a pair of ProAc EBS from around about 1988.
Mine's are from 1986!


Quote:
Taking the ATC mids for repair at ATC tomorrow (good job its near my house!). Did you find any mods for your EBS? I was thinking of going active crossovers.
Going active is a good option, but I haven't tried it. A friend of mine have fully modified their E.B.S. (S.S. Revelator tweeters and completely new crossovers). The sound of the speakers is the SCM 50 way, but lacks of ProAc's mellow sound. I can ask him for the crossover's chosen.


Quote:
Think my speakers my have been modded already as have a ProAc branded D2010 tweeter installed - looks like all the caps in the crossover were changed to SCR 5% 400v polyprops.
Both speakers are about to be the same: same graphics, same 0,75", same frecuency response. Whatever, mines are D2008, the original ones (they are also 6 milimeters smaller).



Quote:
Curious to know if the crossover should have been modified from changing the D2008 to D2010? These are great speakers - a poor mans ATC SCM 50.
I think no modification should be made. They really look to be the same tweeters. Don't you think? Many people prefer the sound of the ProAc over the 50's one.

Regards,
Jgtx.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 03:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol
Hi Jgtx,

Thanks for the reply and advice. Some details of your friends active crossover would be really useful as I don't have the means to measure the freqency response.

Visit to ATC was interesting - went through one of the workshops to drop off the drivers - a real craftsman like place!

Do you intend to upgrade your EBS still or are you using the drivers in another project?

Cheers and many thanks,

Nathan
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 07:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and advice. Some details of your friends active crossover would be really useful as I don't have the means to measure the freqency response.
My friend has just modified the original E.B.S. xover, but it keeps as a passive one.

Quote:
Visit to ATC was interesting - went through one of the workshops to drop off the drivers - a real craftsman like place!
I need some ATC SM75-150 mid speakers for my project, so if you know they got a nice pair-price, please let me know .

Quote:
Do you intend to upgrade your EBS still or are you using the drivers in another project?
Well, my main speakers are the big totem-pole B&W leyend Matrix 800. I am thinking of upgrading tweeters and kevlar mid-drivers. I have bought some modified Morel Supreme 130 tweeters and the matching mid pair are the ATC's, but it's hard to find in 8 Ohms.

Regards,
Jgtx.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 06:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bristol
Quote:
My friend has just modified the original E.B.S. xover, but it keeps as a passive one.
Just had the cost back for redoming the mid drivers = 250 - think I'll be leaving off the active upgrade for now :-) Would love to know what the mods are so I could upgrade the tweeters. Bass drivers were described as a little bit dull but still good (another 200 to get those done - in the future)


Quote:
I need some ATC SM75-150 mid speakers for my project, so if you know they got a nice pair-price, please let me know.
Will ask when I'm there - it may be possible to have them redome with an 8ohm voicecoil - or are there other differences?

Quote:
Well, my main speakers are the big totem-pole B&W leyend Matrix 800. I am thinking of upgrading tweeters and kevlar mid-drivers. I have bought some modified Morel Supreme 130 tweeters and the matching mid pair are the ATC's, but it's hard to find in 8 Ohms.
Really like B&W - friend had a pair of old 801s but struggled to get suitable replacement Mids a while back - Will message you if I see any 8 ohms going!

Cheers,

Nathan
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 02:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorgitox



Well, my main speakers are the big totem-pole B&W leyend Matrix 800. I am thinking of upgrading tweeters and kevlar mid-drivers. I have bought some modified Morel Supreme 130 tweeters and the matching mid pair are the ATC's, but it's hard to find in 8 Ohms.

Regards,
Jgtx.
Hi,

Just curious, are those 13kewlar mid not good?
I think they are workable with a good x-over redesign..
I remember I have listened the 800 and I was perplex by "voices",
it is possible the "tandem" geometry is the guilty.
One mid only is preferible IMO or helped by the second ( the lower)
with a different Fc and different slope ( as like a 2.5 way).

Cheers,
Paolo
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 02:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Just curious, are those 13kewlar mid not good?
I think they are workable with a good x-over redesign..
I remember I have listened the 800 and I was perplex by "voices",
it is possible the "tandem" geometry is the guilty.
One mid only is preferible IMO or helped by the second ( the lower)
with a different Fc and different slope ( as like a 2.5 way).

Hi Inertial!

I will not modify the existent center box, but will manufacture another one to fit the new drivers. Speakers are amazing the way they are, but tweeter's location is a bit high from listening point. That's why I am considering to locate it a bit down, maybe down the ATC driver.

Yes, I have decided to fit one mid per speaker. I am also sure that changing the own crossovers the pack could improve, but I have started the thing and there's no way out . I will keep the center box without changes to compare results.

Best regards,
Jgtx.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Italy
Ah, understood your point!
So you can swap the entire center module....cool!

About the tw height, I think it was calculated for an optimal ear height
below the tweeter "line". Just a speculation.

More in general, the 800 was a attempt to produce 6dB more SPL with the same 801 quality. To be honest, they have pratically show that is not possible doubler the drivers and have the same quality, but the extra 6dB is guarantee !

P.S.: do you have a big room?

Cheers,
Paolo
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:36 PM   #10
mr-br is offline mr-br  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by nathwasere
Just had the cost back for redoming the mid drivers = 250 - think I'll be leaving off the active upgrade for now :-) Would love to know what the mods are so I could upgrade the tweeters. Bass drivers were described as a little bit dull but still good (another 200 to get those done - in the future)

Will ask when I'm there - it may be possible to have them redome with an 8ohm voicecoil - or are there other differences?
What was the issue with the ATC mids that prompted the visit? Also are you saying that ATC said the woofers were "a bit dull"? In what way exactly?

BTW I've just found this thread having also some EBS1s! I bought them 2ndhand a few years back from a Naim dealer where they had been languishing in the store room. The guy that demmed them before I purchased had obviously forgotten how good they sounded, judging from the look on his face!

Anyway my tweeter is the D2010 and the foam surround is starting to disintegrate. Not sure how that can be fixed or if it is even that necessary.

I haven't looked at the crossover yet. I guess the caps could do with a refresh. Proac are not too far away so I may take them there to be measured.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proac Studio200 - Upgrade mods help needed stu.dio Multi-Way 2 21st November 2008 03:19 AM
need crossover information for proac D38 (= a proac 2.5, but with 2 midrange drivers) scipio Multi-Way 1 26th December 2005 02:12 PM
proac 2.5 anyone? dave k Multi-Way 3 9th June 2003 11:26 AM
Proac 2.5 clones vs Proac 2s purist Multi-Way 0 27th April 2003 10:21 PM
Proac Response 3.5 Xover mods gilid Multi-Way 2 2nd May 2002 09:40 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2