18sound NSD1095N v's B&C DE250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure it's just fine without a super tweeter. In Troels TL 3, wich doesn't have a super tweeter, he writes:

"From my workshop setup I knew I had something in store and moving the speakers to our living room and, not least, installing the Hypex for the bass, this speaker has a transparency or par or better than any other speaker I have made. Period!"

The-Loudspeaker-III

Last edited:
In fact this is my guess too. At HF the direct radiator is beaming very sharply which basically puts the listener into the direct field, much like listening to nearfield monitors. There is no reverberation because the direct sound is so much greater than the reverberant sound. This will tend to increase the "intelligability" or maybe what is being called "detail". There are no reflections to "muck up the works". If you like this effect then fine, but I have come to dislike it very much and as such I find 1" dome tweeters undesirable because of this. Then there is the fact that a highly directional tweeter only allows for a very small singular listening spot.

HF gets barely reflected by real life surfaces, certainly not in the area where a 1" direct transducer begins to beam. Not much of an explanation.

I always thought the super tweeter was just for tastes rather than necessity. The larger ND3SN I use has all the detail one could ask for. I don't consider my hearing to be extraordinary but I heard higher than most people in the room at a hi-fi gathering.

Once again, it comes down to how much room sound you want. Dispersion rather than extension.

HF gets barely reflected by real life surfaces, certainly not in the area where a 1" direct transducer begins to beam. Not much of an explanation.

But this explanation is faulty as well since HFs DO reflect off of surfaces - all surfaces, all the time, its just that absorption can lower the levels to some extent, but seldom if ever eliminate them. "Barely reflected" is simply not the case. And for grazing angles there is NO absorption at all even for HFs. Your claim is simply not true.

True, I have a glass door in the living room and it reflects maybe 80-90% of the tweeter sounds like a mirror. I also have a totally flat painted ceiling and that seems to reflect 70-80%, it really is a problem until I redo the ceiling.

However, I still do prefer to listen without the horn, because even with that the ceiling manages to ruin the sound to some degree.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.