Anyone in Australia sell Alpha 15's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone in Australia sell Alpha 15's?

Hi all,

As per the title - are there any retailers in Aus selling Eminence Alpha 15A's?

Stu
Old 28th December 2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

You could try Essential Audio. http://www.essentialaudio.com.au/

no promises though.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy - I've tried them.
Old 29th December 2008, 01:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

When I asked Music Connection a year back, I was told:
"Most good retails in Melbourne will place a Eminence order for you, as there are so many speakers in the Eminence range you will find that a lot of the retails do have them on hand, but are able to get them in a couple of days.

You can try the following retailers;

BILLY HYDES - All Stores
SPEAKERBITS
VORTICITY MUSIC
DB CONCERT SOUND
UNDERGROUND MUSIC
WALL OF SOUND PROFESSIONAL AUDIO"
Old 29th December 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That's interesting Jont. I might try that if I decide I want some. Hopefully they'll have stock somewhere in Aus. as the next lot shipped in will be more pricey! I looked at importing, but once you've added postage it gets a bit much.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuey
That's interesting Jont. I might try that if I decide I want some. Hopefully they'll have stock somewhere in Aus. as the next lot shipped in will be more pricey! I looked at importing, but once you've added postage it gets a bit much.
When me and another fellow from the Aussie Stereonet forum imported them, it was $85each (all-up). Anyone who imports any Eminence 15" drivers would be able to get some for you in their next shipment (the boxes are the same size), which would reduce their cost. But I think you'd still be looking at $120-$150 each.

Have you tried a WTB (Aus) in the Trading Post section of this site?
Old 30th December 2008, 01:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm actually a bit premature, Jont. I'm ordering a couple of Silver Irises and was thinking ahead of bass augmenters. I can't afford the Augies now, and a separate shipment is too pricey. The Alpha's were going to be an alternative.

But, thinking about it, if I use a plate amp, the Betas (available from Essential Audio) would possibly be better anyway...

Cheers

Stu
Old 30th December 2008, 04:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you're following this thread I may end up using only a pair of Alpha 15s instead of 4.

I have 2 Alpha's, brand new unopened in box. But all depends on the outcome of above project (1-2 weeks away).

But honestly if you;re looking for bass augmentation skip the alpha or beta as they need active equalization. Go the augie (if passive), its Fs is 18Hz compared to 40Hz of the alpha. I would not even contemplate Betas do to low Qts. Just my 2Hz
Old 30th December 2008, 05:12 AM   #9
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Qts of the Betas is not that low - about 0.58 - *I think. the bigger worry is the linear xmax which is 4mm. 11 mm till damage. I have bought four of them and will pick them up next week when I'm on holiday. On some sites people don.t like them but none were used open baffle on those sites. I,m going to try them anyway. I don't need them to go loud too low as I hope eventually to go the multiple sub way. Unfortunately this house, as so many are these days, is very open plan so some power will be necessary. I don't believe I can use fostex mids for this reason either. The Celestion I enquired about some time ago still appeals for the mid but no response from anyone having heard it so I'm not sure.
jamikl
Old 30th December 2008, 07:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Actually, Jont, the Augies' Fs is 27Hz I think.

Not that it matters to your point; just pointing it out. I may never get around to augmentation, depending on how the SI goes on its own, bass-wise.

I wonder if the Peerless SLS 12" with an Fs of 29Hz and a decent Xmax is too weird to contemplate with a 15" main...?

Thanks

Stu

Hide this!Advertise here!