Beginner - Building a bass guitar cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Beginner - Building a bass guitar cabinet

Hello All,

I'm a real newbie as far as knowing anything about what I'm doing... I've been surfing around on forums to learn as much as I can... here's my questions - can anyone recommend a great book or similar media for learning about building bass cabinets... ie... tuning a cab, porting, wiring, etc...

I'd really appreciate any help possible... I want to build two 112 cabinets each with a horn and attenuator....

Thanks to all...

Cheers
Old 27th December 2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Any simple book or website (www.diysubwoofers.org) can tell you what you need to know about the theory of sizing a box and tuning it, etc...but that is only part of the design process.

To arrive at a useful design you need to define what you want. Often size and desired SPL are limitations. For bass guitar (4 string) you probably want a lot of cut below 40Hz or the string movements from slapping can bottom the woofers, especially if you go vented and/or don't use pro woofers.

http://www.core-sound.com/bottom-article.html
this article has the text of a guy who made a bass rig with hi-fi drivers and you can read about some of his design decisions.
Old 27th December 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Many Thanks

Thanks... I appreciate it. I'll check out the info....

Cheers
Old 27th December 2008, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Beginner - Building a bass guitar cabinet

Quote:
Originally posted by richmoore1998
Hello All,

I'm a real newbie as far as knowing anything about what I'm doing... I've been surfing around on forums to learn as much as I can... here's my questions - can anyone recommend a great book or similar media for learning about building bass cabinets... ie... tuning a cab, porting, wiring, etc...

I'd really appreciate any help possible... I want to build two 112 cabinets each with a horn and attenuator....

Thanks to all...

Cheers
Couple of questions for you:
- what will you be using to drive the cabs, ie how much power?
- how big are the rooms you need to fill?
- budget?

Hide this!Advertise here!