novice seeking help in building a sound system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place.. If i'm not then please move me to where this should be. Thank you.

I would like to get your guys advice on how and what to use for my dream sound system. I don't think it's too hard to built but you know better than me.

I would like to connect 4 good quality speakers and sub to a main system or "brain" so from this "brain" I'll be able to use the speakers and sub with my- tv,dvd,laptop,iphone and radio. This way if I wish to listen to something from my iphone I would simply connect it to the main system brain (not sure how to call it) and then it will play through the speakers and sub and when I'd like to watch tv i'd just switch it through the brain.

I have no idea which speakers and sub to use nor what kind of equipment I should buy in order to make this dream a reality. I will say this- I don't want to spend more than 700-900$... possible?

Thanks guys,
I'm looking forward to get your help.

Uri

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

I rather not use my laptop as the brain because the speakers and sub will be in the living room and my room is right next so I like to keep my laptop in my room.. If the cheapest way to do this is to get a used laptop to use as the brain then I'll go for it. I just want something permenant in my living room

I have server based systems all over the house.I am a mac user.Do you use mac or pc?You can use a usb dac into a amp. My suggestion is to spend the larger portion of your money on front speakers.I build all kinds of speakers and can suggest many diffferent ones and crossovers once we narrow down what type of system you want.I my humble opinion surround sound is over rated[been there done that]real quality front 2 channel system sounds incredible.However rear speakers are cheap and easy to add and so is a sub!!Another question I do not have a I-phone do you want to play movies from it ,on the tv and is the quicktime format for the I-phone smaller then the format for monitor playback[you would know better then me if you have ever hook it up to the tv to watch movie!]

I'd suggest just going with a reasonably good surround receiver, preferably one that comes with an RF remote so you can control it from other rooms. It should support HDMI audio if you expect to go Blu-ray in the near future. If you don't intend to go Blu-ray within a few years, then pay as little as possible for a digital surround receiver. It'll have various audio inputs (analog - RCA, and digital - RCA and optical) for the various sources.

There's some very good deals on used stereo speakers if you troll yard sales and thrift stores. $50 should get you a front and rear pair. Or, there may be good buys on new stuff if you watch the liquidators, or catch some after-Christmas sales. Building a set of speakers is admirable, but a lot of cabinet work if you're going to make up a surround set. And if you're going to that much trouble, it seems foolish not to build something really good, which would probably take your entire budget to build 4. (Look at plans/kits from Madisound or Zalytron, because designing from scratch is not easy.)

As for the subwoofer, that's worth building. $100 or so for a nice driver, some MDF and wood glue, and the stuffing from a Wal-mart pillow. For the sub amp, you may have to spend some real money, like $200, for a used "pro" or "mid-fi" power amp. While there are "plate" amps that are cheaper, they don't offer the same watts per dollar, and probably aren't as well built. Plus, a stereo amp will let you add a second subwoofer for just the cost of the driver. With luck (or desperate sellers), you might score an amp much cheaper. "Investing" in a good sub will really pay off when it comes to watching movies, and it ain't bad with music either.

To connect the computer in the other room, run an S/PDIF cable through the wall. There's various USB audio gizmos that include S/PDIF I/O if the computer doesn't have that already.

Wow so much information! Thank you!

I don't want to build a speaker myself or a sub for that matter. I can't really do it in my small apartment (/i live in nyc) so I'll need to buy everything and the hooking up, I'll do on my own.
I think the main use of this system will be for listening to music and the kind of music I listen to is-
Radiohead, the national, mum, sigur ros, R.E.M, kings of leon, boards of canada, bjorek, bloc party,etc.... so mainly alternative rock.
I still didn't understand what kind of device I will use as the "brain".... If you guys can tell me which equipment to look for (if you see a good deal online then please let me know) and then how to hook it up. That will be great..

Thanks

I suggest you explore the many different "music server" options available, and refined your needs, budget, etc. Google "music server" and you will see what I mean. You can roll you own or buy a turnkey system, with a lot of options in between.
PC based - wireless - in a variety of implementations is just one option.
Syd

First off how big is your i-tunes library?Do you just want to use your i-phone as your on demand music base or server.If this is your intentions then i suggest a apple i-phone dock with remote with both video and audio outs in back,so you can install it in your choice of amp or receiver.You also need to decide whether you will listen to the radio or not and if so do you want hd radio.This will determine what receiver you purchase or if no radio is ok, you can purchase a better amp for the money,like the cambridge audio or the new onkyo intergrated!!either way the dock is a good start to build the system and gives you the option to use remote with i-phone[check with apple to verify this!!!!]let me know what you think

I think you're overcomplicating this in your mind - the "brain" that you seek has no purpose but volume control and source selection, correct? In that case, all you need is a decent stereo receiver, which should then give you enough inputs (typically labelled as CD, Tape, TV, Aux1, Aux2, but the labels don't matter, they just tell you what to set the Source knob to on the front to listen to that device). All you need to listen to an iPhone through a stereo is a line out adaptor (typically, a "dock") and the appropriate cable (typically a 3.5mm stereo TRS to twin RCA cable) to plug it into the reciever.

As to specific speakers and sub - you're not really in the right forum to ask. Here at diyAudio, people tend to be into DIY as a result of being unsatisfied with what's available commercially. That said, we can give some advice. This is all, however, in my own opinion.

- Don't bother buying a Home Theatre In a Box. You'll probably hate it, since you've expressed some interest in "doing it right".
- Thus, don't bother about matching brands between your different bits of gear.
- You'll need a receiver that has 5 channels of amplification, or 4 channels of amplification and a line out for an active subwoofer. For simplicity, the first option is better.
- Why is the first option better? It means that the crossover for the subwoofer to the mains is integrated into the receiver. Try to find one that allows this "crossover frequency" to be adjusted. The job of this crossover is to relieve the main speakers of reproducing bass content, and to relieve the subwoofer of reproducing treble content. Look for a receiver that offers a "4th Order" or "24dB/octave" crossover slope.
- Since you want to use a sub, you don't need bass extension from your speakers, so you don't want "bass reflex" or "ported" speakers. Sealed speakers are much harder to get wrong, so you're more likely to find a good set within your budget.
- If you're after a compact surround set up, you'll want to look for speakers that use either a single 3" driver or a 3" or 4" with a tweeter.

Go and find out what's available to you locally. Post back here, preferably with links to the relevant manuals / specifications, and people can help you select a combination that will work together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.