Active modules for 2-way loudspeakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2008, 08:45 AM   #1
roffe is offline roffe  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Active modules for 2-way loudspeakers?

I have tried searching for projects using active crossover/amplifying modules for loudspeakers here, but found little of interest. Maybe I am using the wrong search words.

I am planning on building a set of 2-way loudspeakers with active crossovers and EQ, and hope to avoid the process of designing passive crossovers at all.

Currently, I am trying to find a selection of alternative 2-way plate amp/crossover solutions to choose from. Any input is appreciated.

I am currently in contact with an importer here in Norway who will probably order some modules, but even so, hearing about other products and designs and how they are utilised will be quite helpful. If possible, I like to learn from other peoples experiences. Makes it easier to avoid common mistakes.
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

http://www.redrocksaudio.es./e_main.html
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

roffe,
I used Rod Elliot's projects to bi-amp a two way crossing over at 2.5 kHz with great results. It is a fair bit of work but worth the effort. I built the electronics into the bottom of the speaker.
I've only done one of the two and am now in the process of tri-amping, that is, converting to a three way.

Some liks below;
Active cross-over
Chip amp LM3886

I used the chip amp modules (bridging two to drive the woofer), the Linkwitz-Riley 24dB active cross-over, speaker protectors and the balanced driver to bridge the amps.

Frank
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hello Roffe,

I use the amps and digital crossovers from GroundSound. You will find them here:

www.groundsound.com

The amps sound good and the digital crossover is VERY user friendly:-).

The company is located in Denmark, so it's not too far away from you!

Best regards
Peter
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

To expand on my post above, redrocks sell 200W and 1000W ClassD amp modules, digital crossover modules, and an SMPS to power all the above.
Old 24th December 2008, 01:20 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Solen has some examples of ready to plug in 2-way plate amps

http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catal...u1=1&niveau2=2

dave
Old 28th December 2008, 02:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default ICEPower Modules and Xilica x-overs

The combo if ICE amplifier Modules and the excellent Xilica XM 2040 is just what you need. Contact me if you need more info.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

First, a happy new year to everyone!

Thanx for all suggestions so far. I should have been more specific at one point, I think, and that was that I want to build everything into rather small speaker boxes (HxWxD = 40x20x24cm at the smallest).

Even so, a lot of the links were new to me, and if I fail to find an all-in-one plate solution, I now have a wider selection, thanx to you. I am still a bit reluctant about putting together modules for myself. One of the reasons for not going for passive X-overs is the slow progress when you have to solder parts for each little modification of the X-over.

I still welcome more suggestions, especially for all-in-one plate amps that doesn't cost too much (yes, price does matter).

The amps from Solen looks nice, but they do require speaker drivers with at pretty flat freq.response do begin with. I see there are products out there with more sophisticated features, like EQ and delay for a flatter and more phase coherent response.

I will keep looking a bit more. Whatever choice I make, I'll post it here.
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ICEPower Modules and Xilica x-overs

Quote:
Originally posted by Daytona50
The combo if ICE amplifier Modules and the excellent Xilica XM 2040 is just what you need. Contact me if you need more info.
As far as i know, ICEpower modules are not available for DIYers. But there are excellent alternatives for power modules, both in the links above and from Hypex.

Can you tell me a bit more about the Xilica XM 2040 (what is it)?
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pk
Hello Roffe,

I use the amps and digital crossovers from GroundSound. You will find them here:

www.groundsound.com

The amps sound good and the digital crossover is VERY user friendly:-).

The company is located in Denmark, so it's not too far away from you!

Best regards
Peter
Looks like very interesting products. The Coolback II 600 looks like what I need EXCEPT that it is too long. 60cm is simply too much for the speakers I have planned. Is that the only plate amp they are making? I guess class AB and that huge power supply takes up a lot of space.

My initial thoughts is a class AB module of about 50W or so for the treble and a class D module around 200W for the mid/bass-element(s), supplied by a space consuming switch mode PS. Something like that shouldn't take up too much space.

Hide this!Advertise here!