One rib to rule them all - PMS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Time to go public … I’ve had the drivers and crossover parts for Troels Gravensens Poor Mans Strads for over 12 months now but this year has been chaotic and I never found enough time to take on this project - well here goes ….

I’m making a small! mod to TG’s design and going for a full curved back and adding about 20 mm to the depth to allow for additional bracing and just a few more litres in volume.

This is the template from the ribs ….

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What a lucky find soundboard already kerfed [I'm just cutting board down here] ….

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

See …. http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html for a few pics more, this will increase over Christmas [I hope]

Next post will be when I’ve completed the skeleton.

Cheers - Phil

It looks like this is a fairly new tool on the US market. DeWalt and Makita seem to have recently released versions, though they don't cost much if at all less than the Festool. Thanks for showing me this very innovative tool Phil, sorry to interrupt your thread.

I look forward to seeing your results.

-David

Hi Guys

GM - actually did have a EZ Guide system at one time - it was great, in fact the actually rail was heavier and more robust that the Festool and if your short of cash that’s definitely the one to go for.

Yes it's a Festool and yes they are far too expensive but they build superb tools and one of the things I really like is their dust collection ability which is almost total – look at the floor – NO DUST

Cat – yes you can make a simple saw board for next to nothing and I built one years ago but occasionally I would find the circular saw pulling off the guide no matter how much I tried to keep it on the straight edge. Although both these systems are expensive I just love the rail system with a ridge on it where the saw rides on – that way there is no-way the saw can wander off line.

Hi Phil!

I like it very much, looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

One question about your internal bracing... did Troels specifically recommend that layout, or did you just interpolate yourself? I have read that the cabinet design posted on his website isn't the perfect version yet, and the bracing would have to be increased.

Good work!

Hi Klankkymen – yes that’s my variation but it’s very similar to another builder “Paul” which is pictured on TG’s site under Builders Pics. This is definitely more bracing than TG’s original and I think should be ample. I have also increased the total depth by 20mm to maintain the volume. I will also brace the mid/woofer drivers front to back.

This pic is a test and trim of the inner back skin ...

Attachments

• xx_03.jpg
    xx_03.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 534
Hi Phil!

Thanks for the info and pics. I have looked around that section, and I think I have a good idea of what kind of bracing is necessary now.

Thing is, I'm debating if I should build these, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the challenge of the woodworking. And I definitely don't have enough tools, not quite sure if I can justify the price of a table saw at the moment.

That saww does look great. I recently got myself a couple of these:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21610&name=guide+clamp&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

Not quite so advanced, but I use them with a small deWalt circular saw and they have actually replaced my table saw as my preferred way of cutting panels. They are unbelievable good value for money, very rigid so they dont flex at all and I'm able to get perfectly square cuts accurate to within half a mm which I consider very good. Very quick to set up too.
Thoroughly recommended for anyone on this side of the pond who doesnt want to shell out for the more expensive systems

budwiser said:
Are you using the Jantzen CrossCaps as shown on Troel's site in your crossover? Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete - yes thought I'd go with the "kit" crossover components. I've built them already into what was going to be an external box to be mounted on the back. However - I've changed the back to be a complete curve - so that mucks that idea up. I'd only done a dry (no soldering) build so think I'll break it down into 3 small boards within each cabinet and place them in the woofer/mid areas where I can get at them at a later date if necessary.

Cheers - Phil

Phil,

I checked out your website. They really look good. Thanks for sharing your build experience with us. I ordered my drivers two days ago and hope to get the rest ordered soon. I was in the middle of finishing up my 2.5 clones awhile back when I found out about the PMS. I may have to sell my 2.5's to fund this project. I will continue to check your site to see the progress.

Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.