Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2008, 11:11 PM   #1
djn04 is offline djn04  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie looking for advice and encouragement

Hello all.

I'm new here and wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this site in the short time I've been here I've learned a lot and I'm encouraged by other first timers.

I have a some questions and I'm seeking some advice.

This will be my first build and I've decided on the Audio Physics Tempo clone on the Humblehomemadehifi site. My reasons for choosing this project are twofold. One it looks relatively simple for a first time project, and two the aesthetics pass the SAF test.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Tempo.html

My questions are does anyone have any experience with this setup? Is the quality similar to what I would get from another similar floorstander of the same size and price? Will it be relatively easy for a first timer? Are they other projects with a similar aesthetic that you would recommend.

Thanks Again.
Old 20th December 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't see this as an overly difficult project compared to other two-way designs. The woofer is available from PartsExpress; the tweeter is a current model but I'm not sure about a retailer - the model at Madisound doesn't appear to be the same one.

In any event, the biggest challenge I see to building this speaker is the angled cabinet, but that all depends on the resources you have available - if you can cut the pieces yourself or will need to have someone do it for you.

I have no direct experience with this design but I certainly trust tony's knowledge and the drivers are definitely good ones. You don't say what your budget limit is, but there are a lot of very good designs out there that are probably in the same price ballpark as this one, some maybe a little bit higher -

I would suggest you look at the designs at www.zaphaudio.com and at Jay_WJ's site, http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/ You really can't go wrong with anything you choose here - the problem is choosing!
Old 20th December 2008, 02:02 AM   #3
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

I say go for it - I doubt you'll have any regrets. I agree, the most time consuming part will be the cabinets. It looks like Tony used MDF, and then veneered it - which gives the advantage of being more forgiving when cutting/building, and ultimately a more robust cabinet, but the added step of veneering isn't particularly easy, I think. But you will end up with a very nice looking (and great sounding) pair of loudspeakers. I recently did a couple pairs of veneered floorstanding speakers, and they look great!
Old 20th December 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go it. The SAF factor requires me to build a narrow sloped baffle floorstander. Which I'm cool with because I really like the look of it.

I guess I'll email madisound about the tweeter and the woofer is out of stock as well.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:01 PM   #5
sploo is offline sploo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This wouldn't be the easiest project to start with, due to the angled cuts required. However, if you've got a tablesaw (or access to someone with one) then it should be quite possible to do with good planning.

Whilst you obviously want the best fit of panels possible, remember that if you're painting or veneering the unit, then you can get away with using filler to patch up any joins that don't quite fit.

Take your time, be pleased with the results (only you will know of your mistakes, unless something is glaring).

Oh, and be prepared to look at them in a couple of years time and think, "D*mn that's poor, I could do so much better now!"
Old 20th December 2008, 07:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Santa should be bringing me a table saw. the challenge of the angle cuts is part of what excites me about the project. I'm going to take my time and try to make something I'll be proud of.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:53 PM   #7
RIP

Looks like a great first time project if the drivers are available. Mdf is very forgiving and paper backed veneer is relatively simple to use. Just take your time and use common sense, there's plenty of help on this forum.

Bill
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody.

So I got an email from madisound and the Seas 27TFF-H831 has been discontinued. He recommended the H881 and said they have the same VC and the only difference is the rear chamber.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...=80&Itemid=104

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...=81&Itemid=105

If I were to substitute the tweeters would I need to rework the crossover? Being my first set I would prefer to stick with a tried and true design.

Also no word on when the Vifa PL18W0-09-08 will be back in stock.

Maybe I should just make these.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=25031
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I was afraid you might run into that problem - have you seen this design?

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

If you can afford it (not sure if you were serious about the HTGuide link) then you won't be dissapointed; Madisound has the kit, which makes the whole thing easier:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8362

If it's beyond your budget afterall, then I would recommend Jay_WJ's Usher 8945P + SEAS 27TBFC/G.
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have looked at the ZRT the price is a little daunting and it doesn't work with my SAF restrictions.

I currently have a pair of B&W DM602 S2's on stands and I get constant complaints about who they look. My dad has a pair of Sonus Faber Cremonas and she said those look good. So as this point I'm limited to a pair of narrow sloped baffle floorstanders or they won't find a home in my house. That's why I was looking at the Tempos and any other speakers that would fit the bill.

I would really like to make the cabinets from the HTGuide post and figure out the drivers latter but that's probably not the best plan.

Hide this!Advertise here!