Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Audio Luddite
Default Advice needed on DIY speaker designs

Hi All
A friend gave me a vintage set of 3 way AR 11. The cabinets are in very ordinary condition and the drivers need refoaming.Are they worth restoring .

I would like to build a new set of cabinets and would like to to hear any opinions on cabinet design that would improve on the the original cabinets.(they are just a box with padding in it.(Thinking out side the box )

Any thoughts on using just the drivers in a full range design.

I would be driving them with a Mcintosh mc 240. If someone could suggest a good full range design using just the 11 inch drivers.

At present I'm using a set of Whalfedale,evo 40 bi amped with the mc 240 driving the the mids and highs and a Mark Hill 6L6 - A 23 watt tube amp driving the bottom.
Old 21st December 2008, 12:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Default Re: Advice needed on DIY speaker designs

Quote:
Originally posted by Audio Luddite
Hi All
A friend gave me a vintage set of 3 way AR 11. The cabinets are in very ordinary condition and the drivers need refoaming.Are they worth restoring .

I would like to build a new set of cabinets and would like to to hear any opinions on cabinet design that would improve on the the original cabinets.(they are just a box with padding in it.(Thinking out side the box )

Any thoughts on using just the drivers in a full range design.

I would be driving them with a Mcintosh mc 240. If someone could suggest a good full range design using just the 11 inch drivers.

At present I'm using a set of Whalfedale,evo 40 bi amped with the mc 240 driving the the mids and highs and a Mark Hill 6L6 - A 23 watt tube amp driving the bottom.
Why don't you pop in sometimes, I am at Prestons where M5 and M7 meet. There are some interesting options that we can chat about as well as DIY speakers I can demo. I do doubt if refurbishing AR11 is worth it, but if you are willing to build DIY boxes, then you do have potentially some interesting set of choices and better than AR11.

Joe R.
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Audio Luddite
Default AR 11

Hi Joe
Sounds interesting ,I will drop in sometime.

Hide this!Advertise here!