Advice needed on DIY speaker designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
A friend gave me a vintage set of 3 way AR 11. The cabinets are in very ordinary condition and the drivers need refoaming.Are they worth restoring .

I would like to build a new set of cabinets and would like to to hear any opinions on cabinet design that would improve on the the original cabinets.(they are just a box with padding in it.(Thinking out side the box :D )

Any thoughts on using just the drivers in a full range design.

I would be driving them with a Mcintosh mc 240. If someone could suggest a good full range design using just the 11 inch drivers.

At present I'm using a set of Whalfedale,evo 40 bi amped with the mc 240 driving the the mids and highs and a Mark Hill 6L6 - A 23 watt tube amp driving the bottom.

Audio Luddite said:
Hi All
A friend gave me a vintage set of 3 way AR 11. The cabinets are in very ordinary condition and the drivers need refoaming.Are they worth restoring .

I would like to build a new set of cabinets and would like to to hear any opinions on cabinet design that would improve on the the original cabinets.(they are just a box with padding in it.(Thinking out side the box :D )

Any thoughts on using just the drivers in a full range design.

I would be driving them with a Mcintosh mc 240. If someone could suggest a good full range design using just the 11 inch drivers.

At present I'm using a set of Whalfedale,evo 40 bi amped with the mc 240 driving the the mids and highs and a Mark Hill 6L6 - A 23 watt tube amp driving the bottom.

Why don't you pop in sometimes, I am at Prestons where M5 and M7 meet. There are some interesting options that we can chat about as well as DIY speakers I can demo. I do doubt if refurbishing AR11 is worth it, but if you are willing to build DIY boxes, then you do have potentially some interesting set of choices and better than AR11.

Joe R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.